iris creek gp 38

Re: iris creek gp 38

Postby Marquette » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:53 am

If you ask, probably they will cite the fact that they're very small series productions, etc. But personally I think that's nonsense - so many other manufacturers outside Europe do very limited run kits that don't cost anything near these prices. 500€ for the FA/FB? 430€ for the GP9 RTR version? I don't care if these are RTR, I don't care if they're injection moulded, I don't care about any of it - I honestly hope they don't manage to sell a single unit and are forced to eat them. These prices are ridiculous.

And then they'll use the excuse "see? No market for US prototypes". Die in a fire.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Marquette » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:58 am

Just for comparison... Trackgang Products has several kits for New Zealand locomotives available - okay, they're unpowered, but they're only 70 NZ$ - that's less than $50 USD. Just for a rough estimate, double that to get the power, and then double that for a charge on building the kit... and that's *still* only $200 for an RTR locomotive!!
Marquette

Postby jmass » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:42 pm

a limited run means that there is a perfectly good die sitting somewhere overseas that is basically collecting dust particles. thats what pisses me off.
jmass

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:58 pm

jmass wrote:there is a perfectly good die sitting somewhere overseas

Uh-huh :wall:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:12 pm

That's exactly why I get so livid at prices like these - it's simple robbery, really. Make a short run and ask not only your eye for it, but an ear, half your Haggis and a kidney, too. The unfortunate part is that there probably are a few who will pay these prices.

The FA/FB set, at 500€. It says "strictly limited series - 20 pieces". Twenty. It is going to require a mould be made for it (plast abguss). At this twenty, they'll bring in only 10000€. To get that same income selling them at 150€ (which I think is still too high, but at least it's in line with mass producers in Europe), they'd need to sell only 67 of them. That's a number I'm sure they could attain, and maybe more.

But, and this is the part which makes them such massive Haggis IMO (even though it's brilliant from a business point of view) - "there's only twenty being made? Ohshit gotta get it!" And they sell their twenty. And a year or two later make another twenty, and same thing. Or - and this is just as bad - they make the twenty and then destroy the dies.

So yeah, I really am irritated about this, and I do hope they die blazing deaths or just choke to death eating their unsold 20 FA sets. Because tactics like this is just a pure cashgrab, naught more, and potentially even doing us over on /this/ side of the puddle a *huge* disservice by causing other producers to think ("well, they couldn't even sell 20 American locomotives, no way we can do our large runs - nobody wants American stuff!").
Marquette

Postby areibel » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:16 pm

The really sad thing is they probably just copied one of the Kemtron FA/FB sets in resin. They still would have needed to develop a chassis kit, and do the decorating but still- Brass from Korea could probably be had for the same price!
areibel

Postby jmass » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:17 pm

just checked out the iris creek photos posted by lutte, they even have an alco rs loco. sonofabitch! nice pictures by the way!
jmass

Postby Marquette » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:57 pm

jmass: Kemtron did an RS3 way back when - that's probably what you saw.
Marquette

Postby scaro » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:35 am

Think the Iris Creek RS is an RS1. The Kemtron is an RS2 or RS3 I think.

I believe there's a bit too much negativity about the efforts of the German US TT group. Yes, it's expensive but it's partly due to the unfavourable $US/Euro exchange rate, which can hardly be blamed on the Germans.

Further, I think they basically just do limited numbers for themselves, they aren't fully into commercial production so anytime something is produced, it's probably just one individual who has to take time out from his day job and hobby to build and paint the model. As for whether it impacts on any US manufacturer thinking of getting into TT, I doubt the big players would even be aware of them, sold as they are by only one German hobby shop, who don't market to the US.

Ben
scaro

Postby jmass » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:19 pm

hey God bless those guys overseas for the inguinuity on building those models. but at the same time to have some suit say see there is no interest in north america for there own prototypes when the fact is most people cant affored to plunk down that kinda money rankles the feathers.if i did have the money i would buy one of those low nose gp 9 kits and learn how to cast resin them and sell the frames fo 20$ a pop. with the chassis from pvm, you have a gp9 low nose for 150$. thats affordable.
jmass

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion