Introductions

Introductions

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:51 pm

I'll start :D I had TT scale trains in the 80's and about a year ago when I got back into model railroading it was a no-brainer to go with TT again. The biggest reasons were childhood memories and the fact that I wouldn't need a warehouse for a decent layout. I considered N scale too small for me. I have mostly German prototypes with a couple of Russian and American protos mixed in. Unfortunately all the forums I have found are in languages I don't speak (google does a decent job of translation but a lot gets lost). I decided I want an English speaking forum and I'll also take my shot at reviving the scale in the US.

I'm a software engineer in Atlanta and am doing this in my spare time.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Introductions

Postby BTTB Fan » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:24 pm

Hello,
First of all, thanks for the forum! I hope it will help bring many English-speaking TT enthusiasts together!

My story is similar - I had some BTTB-made trains in the early 80s, growing up in Ukraine. When we emigrated to Canada, I brought a single loco, a half-dozen cars, and some rails. Recently I came across the box in the basement and decided to set it up with my kids. Of course, I had to get a power supply first, but luckily I bought an MRC 200 on eBay for a reasonable price. My kids were mesmerised by the train running on an oval! This encouraged me to look into the "state of TT scale" in North America. Sadly, there was not much. I was lucky to stumble upon George at http://www.eurotrainhobby.com, and my kids and I got hours of cheap entertainment putting together Auhagen buildings for the layout. I am not very concerned with prototypical realism, so I am content with my locos and cars being 100% BTTB/Tillig, and my building being German rural scene...

In the forum I am hoping to discuss some layout ideas (including modular layout building, scenery, electircal stuff, etc.), and also possibly buying/selling/trading rolling stock. So far, my sources for the additions have been eBay and Euro Train Hobby.

Happy TT railroiading, everyone!
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Introducing myself

Postby Rich B » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:33 pm

As I forgot to do this when I registered, I'll do it now to save the "wish list" thread getting off topic.

I live in New Zealand, and though I'm not actually actively modelling in TT at present (my two main layouts are H0), I do have quite a collection of old Berliner Bahn models. I'm thinking of doing a Czech/German border layout a few years down the line (probably once I've moved back to the UK), perhaps based on Fuerth im Wald as I have 27 coal hopper already, although the range of Czech electrics available makes me tempted to do something with overhead.

I'm someone who totally agrees with the description of TT as "the ideal scale"- it's big enough to have all the detail of H0, but small enough to allow a decent table top layout.

My present modelling is mainly German, with a moderately large layout based on Ruegen, and a branch line terminus which is a bit vague at present, it might be Wuppertal, or maybe somewhere in the south of Germany. I also have lots of unfinished projects in British 00.
Rich B

Postby Traincrazychapple » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:57 pm

Hi and good evening:

I have just joined this site this evening and hope to see some new interest develop in TT.
It truly is a perfect scale. You don't have to hold your breath to run Z and N scales, and a nice layout can be had in a very small size. Mine is 30" by 50".

I became aware of TT in the late forties, had always liked it though never did I see any in person until just this last year.
Currently I have an outdoor layout in the 7.5" gauge riding scale, a large G scale layout in the basement, a portable large G scale layout, a small HO layout, have built a few N scale layouts and this beautiful little tt layout.
I will be setting up a display this holiday season which will have trains of all the scales I currently run whcih is G, O, On30, S, HO, TT, N, and Z.
Traincrazychapple

Postby member13 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:34 am

Traincrazychapple wrote:I will be setting up a display this holiday season which will have trains of all the scales I currently run whcih is G, O, On30, S, HO, TT, N, and Z.

Welcome to the board Traincrazy! it seems you have a LOT to stay busy with :thumbup:
member13

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:39 pm

I first got into TT when I went to a train show, and found a box of TT scale trains from England (Tri-Ang). There were two 0-6-0 Jinty locomotives, a passenger car in need of new clear plastic for the windows and some paint, and about a half dozen freight wagons.

I had decided to do a model of some portions of the UK with that, except for the track included with the set was all broken. (At least all the curves were. There were 5 straight sections, of which only 3 were intact, but still needed to have the rails put back onto the ties.)

When finding Tri-Ang TT track proved extremely difficult, I decided to get some German TT track, followed by some German trains as well. I decided to go and make a European layout, as aside from a HO scale freight set that I bought while I was in France, all the other trains in all the scales and gauges that I collect and run are American in prototype.

Then, I found a HP 0-6-0 with 10 cars for $20 on eBay, and then my collection turned into a Northern Hemisphere collection.

I have several TT scale models that I bought for a song due to needed work, my favourite currently in the "Gus Harkness Memorial Locomotive Shop" (Named after a friend from my division that referred to many things as the 'Gus Harkness Memorial __________', ranging from his bunk onboard ship, to a meter test box that he invented.) is a green Zeuke crocodile. The motor itself works, but there is a break in the electrical pickup somewhere.

I collect many scales, some more than others, these include: Z, N, TT, HO, S, O, G, Standard, and 8 3/4"(Ride on type).

My wife wants me to get Tgauge (3mm) so that she can make a layout in a suitcase.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby chrishappe » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:24 am

Hello: I'm glad to see this forum doing well. I've been in TT Scale for 50 years and you would think I would have a layout completed by now, but I'm still working on the latest one. I am semi retired and live just east of Toronto, so it looks like that makes four of us in Canada. I have converted a few Lionels and I have a Tillig FP7 with dcc and sound and lights. I am presently trying to stuff a sound decoder and speaker in a Lionel GP-9 but it is a tight fit, along with the PVM mechanism. It runs and sounds great but the decoder wants to overheat. I will try and get some pictures of this stuff posted. I hand laid the track on this layout using code 55 rail and HOn3 wood ties, but it still needs the ballast to be done. I seem to spend all my time tinkering with locos so not much else gets done on the layout, but it's a hobby so you choose how you spend your time. I am the NMRA Standards Coordinator for TT Scale so if I can answer any questions on the NMRA and the Standards I will do my best. Cheers, Chris Happé
chrishappe

Postby areibel » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:09 pm

Don't be bashful, Chris! Post some pictures of your G12 and show off a little!
areibel

Postby knuddelfisch » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:32 pm

Hi guys,

now it is my turn.
I'm German who got his first TT train set when I was 6. Besides a break when I was a teeny, I got back and started with my current module's about 5 years ago when we moved to Japan.
You can find some details on following page, even it is in German:

http://www.diescharlocks.de/html/tt_modelleisenbahn.html

After I finished my job mission in Tokyo my family and I moved on to my next assignment in Seattle. Means that you guys have one more TT gauge enthusiast around here.

All my stuff is still in a container somewhere between Tokyo and Seattle, but I hope that it will arrive soon and without any damage :idea:

I hope to get things rolling about TT here as well as I did in Japan and look forward to get a nice community together here in Seattle!
Take care and soon more from me,
Knuddel.
P.S.: Some of you are already registered at the biggest TT-Board in Germany where I write under the same name.
knuddelfisch

Postby BTTB Fan » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:47 pm

Welcome to the board, Knuddel!
I liked the pictures on your site. Hopefully the container arrives with all the content intact.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Next

Return to General Discussion