Introductions

Re: Introductions

Postby TT-SouthAfrica » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:37 am

My introduction may be a bit late, after being on the forum for a few months already, however my introduction to TT, began about 20 years ago, when I recieved a TT Collection as a birthday present from a family friend, as for years I had been wanting another trainset (i used to have a Lima set) that I loved to play with as a youngster, however the engine blew and therefore I promptly and stupidly gave the rest of the set away. With my TT collection in mind,I attempted to build an oval layout which didn't actually end up working all that well and was abandoned several months later. Out of my Loco's only my two BR23's ran properly, if at all as the track is original and oxidised BTTB tin track. Since then all my locomotives from my BTTB collection are under full restoration, a V180 which has never been run as it's been in pieces, a v200 which has been restored with modified brass bogie parts which look like the original. a Nohab which has never run due to missing drive linkages however I hope to have running in a few months time and then my two BR23's which are recieving repairs to driving rods and possibly a new paint job - or just a polishing up. About 10 years after recieving my BTTB collection I stumbled apon a Rokal Collection which I promptly purchased, which most of the stock is being rebuilt or serviced.

I have decided to purchase new Tillig Track of which will be used to construct a modular inspired layout as I will be moving home, possibly in the new year, I work as a CAD-CAM designer for a Medical Devices Manufacturer and Railway modelling is one of my activities taken up in my sparetime.
Regards
Gareth Owen
The one and possibly only South African TT'er
TT-SouthAfrica

Postby Arseny » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:44 am

Be careful, ROKAL locomotives and wagons can not pass through Tillig or BTTB turnouts (swithces).
Arseny

Postby TT-SouthAfrica » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:33 am

Hey Arseny, thanks for the warning. I'm yet to actually run a rokal loco on Tillig track... I'm thinking about modifying the Rokal Stock to work on the Tillig track, Coaches are easy, however the loco's may be a bit more fun... :)
Regards
Gareth Owen
TT-SouthAfrica

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:30 pm

There are after market wheel sets for Rokal tt rolling stock which may have finer flanges. Take a look here http://www.modellbahnwelt24.de/MM-1200- ... 83-mm-TT_1
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby TT-SouthAfrica » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:23 pm

Thanks Alex,

I've got access to a 3d Scanner and 3d Printer... I'll either purchase newer tillig wheels or use some of my BTTB spares and then scan and get them printed and see how they roll ... hehe :)
Regards
Gareth Owen
TT-SouthAfrica

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:41 pm

That's pretty damn handy :) Keep in mind that Rokal wheels have a different axle end - dunno if that's a big deal. Also, the above link gives the price before removal of VAT. Should be about 20% less for you.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby MacG » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:21 pm

@ConducTTor: it´s cheaper at the manufacturer of the wheels www.modmueller.de

The modification of the trucks are some tricky. It´s no disassembling provided.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:40 pm

Thanks MacG :thumbup:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:31 pm

ConducTTor wrote:That's pretty damn handy :) Keep in mind that Rokal wheels have a different axle end - dunno if that's a big deal. Also, the above link gives the price before removal of VAT. Should be about 20% less for you.

i think that link shows wheels with the flush axle ending that is right for rokal stock.

the stock rokal wheels are frankly awful, about code 110. they would look coarse in S, let alone TT.

B.
scaro

Postby CaTTlady » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:26 pm

hi my name s CaTTlady ive always loved trains for as long as i can remember im 22 years old married earlier this year very laid back welcome long conversations about trains. i take knowledge bout trains from anywhere and from anybody.
CaTTlady

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion