Introduction, new to TT

Introduction, new to TT

Postby WillYart » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:44 am

Hi, I'm a grad student in Honolulu studying computer science and plan to build a layout; I already already did the benchwork, it's a trundle that rolls on castors under the bed in our tiny apartment. We're all excited; my wife might be involved in scenery; my 4.5 year old will be involved in everything. :thumbup:

TT seems like the ideal scale (I want a continuous loop in the layout but HO would be kind of crammed in that space). There are no hobby shops with trains in Hawaii, so everything will come by mail order.

I hope I can get the support and input of the experienced TT railmodellers on this site.

I'm playing with AnyRail trial version, anyone have any good plans for my dimensions (41" x 72"?)? I've looked around various places including this site but haven't decided on anything. Do you think it would be OK for my "main line" can be a dual track? I want to use "easements".

1. What is a typical tunnel height in TT?

2. What's a good diesel locomotive for pulling trains up a 3% or 4% grade? (Want something ready to go, not custom assembling something from parts). I'm a big confused as I'm not sure what the limiting factors are (size of internal motor, # of axels, overall length); for example when I look at these two, I'm not sure whether consider them roughly equivalent performance wise:

6 axels:
https://www.reynaulds.com/products/Tillig/04533.aspx

4 axels:
https://www.reynaulds.com/products/Tillig/04588.aspx

Anyway, here's to not making any crippling mistakes... (non-assembled switches anyone?)
WillYart

Introduction, new to TT

Postby CSD » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:56 am

First off: Welcome to TT! As you will be doing all mail order, TT is a good choice. There is a vast variety of ready to run European prototypes. I think the space you have might be a bit cramped for a double line. The locomotives you posted will run on tight curves, but, of course the wider the curve the better it looks. Smaller locomotives typically look better in tight spaces. The 4 axle you're looking at is one of my most recommended models. I don't remember the "legal" tunnel height off hand. I'm sure someone else does though.
Mark
//S
CSD

Re: Introduction, new to TT

Postby WillYart » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:21 pm

Mark, thanks for kindly replying. Maybe I'll get the 4 axle.

Yeah I'll just go for the models that look the most US-ish. A 4-year old doesn't know the difference. I'm aware of the US prototyped boxcars etc.

Hoping to use informal easements to make the curves look better.
WillYart

Postby jmass » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:22 pm

welcome to the forum Bill. before ordering from reynaulds contact them to make sure he has what you want in stock as he doesnt really carry much tt scale stuff, and if you order and he doesnt have what you want,you might be waiting a long time cause they dont let you know. euro train hobbys is another alternative, or check the links section.
jmass

Postby WillYart » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:34 pm

Yeah ok, got it; I did talk to Tom there other day, he was very helpful and check locomotive stock for me.
WillYart

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:33 am

Hey Bill welcome aboard! I would go with Euro Train Hobby instead of Reynaulds - the prices are much better.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:06 pm

Greetings and Salutations Billwrw!

In regards to tunnel heights:

Tunnel heights (and widths) are related to something that is referred to as a "Loading Gauge", and that can vary greatly based on country and even the route. Older lines, particularly those in Great Britain, generally have a small loading gauge, as it is cheaper to build narrow tunnels with the technology of the time. Areas that run larger cargoes,such as double-stack cars, need a larger loading gauge.

Loading gauge does not just impact tunnels, though, station platforms, loading depots, overpass bridges, signs, and even level crossings are all dependent on loading gauge.

A good idea would be to make your tunnel's loading gauge large enough to accommodate the largest piece of rolling stock that you plan on getting in the future, as it is much easier to build a model tunnel a little large than to expand it.

There are others here that might have some more specific advice for you, as I have only been into model railroads for about 22 years now, TT for the last 6; and there are others that have more TT experience than years that I have been alive.

billwrw wrote: We're all excited; my wife might be involved in scenery; my 4.5 year old will be involved in everything. :thumbup:

My wife, Nicholle, posts here as CaTTwoman281, and she started out with scenery, and now she lays track, wires things up, builds and paints cars and rolling stock, and has even expressed interest in doing the restoration of one of our HP steamers in the future. A little guidance and help goes a long way. Our son, Terry, is about the same age, and turns 5 this December, and he LOVES trains, both model and real.

billwrw wrote:Anyway, here's to not making any crippling mistakes... (non-assembled switches anyone?)

I have dealt with switch kits, and once you get the hang of them, they are not that bad, but everyone will make a mistake now and again.

Again, welcome to the group, and we look forward to seeing what you are up to.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby LVG1 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:39 pm

billwrw wrote:What is a typical tunnel height in TT?

If you don't know at all how to dimension your tunnels, the European norms could be a good first clue:
http://www.morop.org/en/normes/index.html
NEM105 is for tunnel profiles.

Unforunately, these norms are not yet available in English. But may be the German or French version will help you, though.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby WillYart » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:22 am

Thanks for the thoughtful replies everyone. Oh well, I managed to get Google to translate the document but it mangled the formatting and I can't understand what they're trying to say. I was thinking of using this tunnel portal. It is 10.4 cm high: https://www.reynaulds.com/products/Noch/48051.aspx

However a rail overpass going over another rail might be a bit much though given my plan. I'm restricted to 41" x 72 1/8"; the benchwork is done. I'm trying to think of exuses to include a significant incline somewhere. I'll probably add 2" of foam.

Speaking of which here attached is the layout plan (Anyrail format, demo is free) as it stands. I put it in a zip file because it didn't allow me to upload the .any file. By the way, some credit goes to folks on the Anyrail forum who've provided feedback on the track plan, although they aren't as TT focused necessarily.
Attachments
trundle.zip
(6.02 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
WillYart

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:35 am

Here is the track layout, for the above post for those that do not have Anyrail on their computer(s):
Anyrail does allow the user to export the layout as a regular picture, which is what I did here, then uploaded it to Photobucket, and posted it here.

EDIT: Grammar.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Next

Return to General Discussion