interesting ATSF boxcar

interesting ATSF boxcar

Postby scaro » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:33 am

what is this design of boxcar? looks like a fowler but the bracing is the wrong way up. obviously height has been added. brilliant prototype ...

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... x?id=68664
scaro

Re: interesting ATSF boxcar

Postby scaro » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:54 am

seem to have answered my own query, an ATSF design BX11 or 12 based on the ARA 1924 single sheathed design. some ran in revenue service till 1975 - some in original condition- and thousands were rebuilt as here.

sometimes i dismiss RRs like the santa fe because they're so ubiquitous, but this is hardly your average 'just another santa fe boxcar.'
scaro

Postby Marquette » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:27 am

In a sense, it kinda is your average "just another Santa Fe boxcar". Like the UP, of which I'm not a fan, the ATSF for all their being everywhere at once, had a lot of very interesting equipment!
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:19 am

It's a Franken-boxcar!
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby scaro » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:18 pm

Marquette wrote:In a sense, it kinda is your average "just another Santa Fe boxcar". Like the UP, of which I'm not a fan, the ATSF for all their being everywhere at once, had a lot of very interesting equipment!

that's worth knowing ... what are some UP examples?

i guess my misapprehension comes from seeing lots of the more 'normal' wagons painted in the big roads' schemes ... you forget that they also did their share of kitbashing in 1:1.

i like converted equipment ... often has more character.
scaro

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:28 pm

scaro wrote:
Marquette wrote:i like converted equipment ... often has more character.

Often...yes. Always...NO!
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby scaro » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:43 pm

i'd say MORE often than not it does. it is not surprising, a converted bit of rolling stock has history, engineering skill and ingenuity all blended together with a mish mash of construction styles. take that ATSF boxcar, it's got a mix of a new roof with wooden braced sides, an upgraded door etc, which kept it going into the modern era doing a different job ... heaps of personality.

take the rock's christine, an alco DL109 re-engined with an EMD 567, a number of roads' RS2s and 3s with the same, KCS erie builts, southern's rebuilt FTs that trundled into the 70s on the pidcock lines ... woodchip and kaolin hoppers converted from boxcars ...

change and adaptation are what life's about.
scaro

Return to Prototypes / Models