If I said tank car, you'd say...

Re: If I said tank car, you'd say...

Postby CSD » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:45 am

Anyway, its not like we're not going to address this issue.

Moving on. There is a 23,000 gal. version of the funnel flow as well. It appears to have the same walkways and end bits with a different sized tank. Possible to make both? I don't know. What do you think?
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby milwrd1 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:05 pm

[quote="milwrd1"] However, since the company is in the business to sell cars, the majority of the market may not use MTL couplers. Many of the European modelers may use NEM or Tillig style couplers. and this may be the majority and the car should be fitted to address the needs of the majority (this way the most cars will be sold and will provide opportunities for additional new products).

I've quoted myself here, since it seems I've started a small uprising and it would be appropriate to defend what I said.

I have no, absolutely no knowledge, surveys or information to support what type couplers the European modelers use. I do not know. This is a statement of opinion that they may use the NEM type coupler. I believe the use of MAY in the above quote supports this. The overall point to the manufacturers was to provide a coupler mounting that would result in the largest model sales, hoping for future models. It is indeed discouraging when coupler mountings are difficult, but I would never let a coupler mounting issue prevent the purchase of a NA TT model of the appropriate era. I would not let a coupler mounting issue prevent purchase of the tank car which is the subject of this discussion.

There is another fact, however, which provided some of the reasoning for the above opinion. The undecorated MTB SW1200 that I received had a Tillig NEM 359 coupler package. Why was this provided? MTB certainly provided this for a reason. I am of the opinion that someone is using this type coupler. Did MTB make a mistake in providing the NEM coupler? Did MTB just have an overstock of NEM coupler parts and decided to supply these with the SW1200?

Could this be true?? (This is also opinion). Maybe the European prototype TT modelers are using the NEM type couplers and the European NA TT modelers are using the MTL couplers??

Remember....Model railroading is FUN :!:
milwrd1

Postby areibel » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:42 pm

Well Said! :thumbup:
areibel

Postby CSD » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:05 pm

Agreed.

I have another important question. Which companies would you like to see on this car and for what comodities? These carried liquid food stuffs, molten sulfer, clay slurry, etc. and were in UTLX, GATX, Procor and many other fleets. If you can provide a link or picture to what you like all the better. I'd like to get all the numbers and such right.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby j p » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:26 pm

milwrd1 wrote:Could this be true?? (This is also opinion). Maybe the European prototype TT modelers are using the NEM type couplers and the European NA TT modelers are using the MTL couplers??

Remember....Model railroading is FUN :!:

Yes, I think that this opinion is much closer to the reality.
Most of the European prototype TT modelers are using NEM type couplers, many still using BTTB couplers (incl. some manufacturers), and some are using MTL couplers (placed lower) for the magnetic uncoupling and delayed uncoupling functions.
European NA TT modelers are using MTL or Kadee.

I don't know why the NEM coupler was included with the SW1200, probably because it was ordered like that.
I'll use those NEM couplers for some Danish prototype TT.

I think that the coupler requirement for NA TT model is different for each of the two:
MTL/Kadee compatible: must have
NEM/Tillig compatible: nice to have

The aim of all this is to help Mark and his friends to make it as good as possible and sell as many as possible.
j p

Postby jmass » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:14 pm

Mark, if you can make both great. one would be fantastic though. as far as companies, all three mentioned would be a good choice. the couplers for me would be know problem as ill probally use kadee nscale.
jmass

Postby milwrd1 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:15 pm

j p wrote:[

The aim of all this is to help Mark and his friends to make it as good as possible and sell as many as possible.

I agree completely. The more items Mark sells, the better opportunity for future NA models. :thumbup: :thumbup:
milwrd1

Postby shoofly » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:03 am

would there be a chance for an undec version too?! :thumbup:

Chris
shoofly

Postby CSD » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:25 pm

^^^ Don't know quite yet. I'll put that down as a request for preferred paint scheme and keep everyone informed as things develop.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:49 pm

Undecorated would be nice, but we are on board for whatever the livery ends up being.
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models