Identification of second-hand models

Re: Identification of second-hand models

Postby Marquette » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:07 am

And yes - if that gon is brass, then I do believe that that's a design that only the Erie used. I'll have to dig through my stuff to see if I have any prototype photos. I'll get to that at the weekend!
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Re: Joma/Kemtron brass TT freight cars

Postby railtwister » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:48 am

areibel wrote:That is a Joma (or Kemtron) gondola, the give away is the top rail. If you look at the pic there's a notch in each corner, when they stamped them out they didn't really get too fancy- they folded the top edge down and that was it! They did come with the same cast brass trucks as the tank and caboose.
A few more pics here- joma-brass-gondola-t339.html

Hi Al,

Thanks, I couldn't remember the name "Joma". I didn't know they came with trucks, for some odd reason, all the examples I've seen in Florida (and there have been several over the years) didn't have any trucks. Maybe that's why I didn't try to buy them every time I saw them! Were the trucks they came with the same as other brass Kemtron TT trucks?

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby j p » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:14 pm

Wasn't Joma only a brand name used for those few TT-scale KTM (Katsumi) models in USA? They are easy to identify, they are made of brass, have "JAPAN" stamped on the frame and the bolster screws are metric M2. (at least the tank cars and cabooses have it)
KTM still exists, but they don't make TT scale anymore.

The gondola is probably assembled from different kits. The sides and ends are brass (Joma), the floor is wooden, the bolsters are also wooden, the center sill is cast metal. It seems to me that the MP decals are wrong for it. It should get a new paint and new decals.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
j p

Postby areibel » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:36 pm

I'm not 100% sure who was actually responsible for the Joma cars to tell the truth. The trucks have a flat brass mount, most of the others were cast and you had to solder them together. I'll have to dig out a Kemtron set and see if they're identical or not. I know they're often called Kemtron (like the Scale Rail 0-6-0), but I don't know if Kemtron was actually in on the production, or just distributed them, or if they really didn't have much to do with them! The only reason I suspect they did have something to do with them is a package of parts I have somewhere downstairs. They're spare bolsters for those cars, the black Bakelite (or whatever) plastic with the turned brass inserts and a metric thread. They're in a sealed Kemtron package, so it makes me think either they started them or took over at some time?
areibel

Postby j p » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:05 pm

Here are five different ends.
The first one is for wooden reefers. The second one was mostly with the 50' boxcar kits. The third one was with double sheathed boxcars, reefers, and steel boxcars. The fourth one was with steel boxcars. The fifth one was with steel boxcars and steel reefers. All the kits are without any description or assembly instructions.
ends.jpg
j p

Postby Marquette » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:17 pm

Ends, from top to bottom:

Wooden reefer end.

4/5 Dreadnaught, like what GC makes. I'd probably prefer to use the new GC version.

5/5/5 USRA end - used on only USRA standard boxcars - single and double sheathed.

5/5 Dreadnaught. Could be useful for a number of things.

a very poor 4/5 Dreadnaught, not really worth bothering with.

Can you give dimensions for these? Especially of use would be the dimensions of the 5/5 Dreadnaught end.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby j p » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:45 am

Here is a high resultion picture of the 5/5 Dreadnaught.
The end is made by Christoph.

Dimensions:
width: 22.7 mm
height in the center: 26.0 mm (25.7 mm for the end without the brake wheel)
height at the side: 25.0 mm (24.8 mm for the end without the brake wheel)

christoph.jpg
j p

Previous

Return to Prototypes / Models