I was doing a little reading...

I was doing a little reading...

Postby areibel » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:15 pm

And I came across this announcement-
"Speaking of locomotives, perk up diesel and traction fans. We are taking reservations for the following locomotives, TT Scale-- no money required as deposits on these.
#1 G.E. U 30 B
#2 Electro motive FP45
#3 Baldwin-Westinghouse, B-1 Steeple Cab Locomotive
#4 Milwaukee Road EF Series boxcab electrics
Prices and deliver dates to be announced"

This was in the Precise Scale Models newsletter dated June 9 1971! Precise Scale did go on to purchase HP Products TT scle division, along with several other TT companies. But it doesn't look like any of these ever got close to production.
areibel

Re: I was doing a little reading...

Postby scaro » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:39 pm

Very odd range. Why would a scale that lacked even a GP7 need a couple of rare electric locomotives?
scaro

Postby areibel » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:52 pm

The same guy was in the process of buying Kemtron's TT offerings, so I wonder if he was hoping to do the GP7 and RS3 as his own offerings? Jerry Golembowski has one of the RS's, and it's rumored that the GP also got to the test stage. Kemtron did an etched brass GP7 in O an OO so they had all the artwork but they evidently didn't get too far into production before Kemtron dropped TT.
areibel

Postby scaro » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:16 pm

There are etches of GP7s held by 3SMR in the UK but the evidence is they have no interest in bringing them to market.
scaro

Postby D Martin » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:43 pm

Hi, Al and all:
I believe I have a copy of the same news letter you quoted! Mr. Joe Wallace was the owner of Precise, and he was full of ideas. Mostly, I think he repacked existing parts and kits and sold what he could. As far as new production, he had some seemingly good ideas, but he seemed to always come up with a prerequisite that 100 people would have to place orders before he could get the kit parts made. This in a niche hobby where there were not 100 active people!! I think he was too much a dreamer...
Also, he was in the coast guard, which would have kept him busy, I should think.

Dennis Martin in W. Tennessee
D Martin

Postby areibel » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:37 pm

Hi Dennis,
Any idea how long his newsletter lasted? I have most of Vol #1from 1971, and a few from 1972. I really enjoy digging into the TT history, so I watch for old copies of The Empire and TT Today, etc.. But Mr. Wallace was sure an optimist! I see he mentioned several ambitious projects, A USRA Mikado and injection molded trucks. Too bad he couldn't have pulled some of them off, but such was life in TT (makes me think we have things a lot better now!).

That reminds me, Mike Braunstein was talking about putting all the old TT Empires onto a CD, has anyone heard more about that? My collection is pretty spotty.
areibel

Postby milwrd1 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:33 pm

I enjoy the old TT paperwork also. The latest copy of TT News that I have is dated March 8, 1972 (Volume 2 Number 3). This magazine / newsletter was published by Precise Scale Models located in Black Diamond, Washington. It has an interesting headline...."Precise Scale Models Purchase HP".

Also of interest is a photo of a narrow gauge TTn3 1/2 camelback 0-4-0 locomotive built by a teenaged Elmer McKay!! Craig Levay provided the editorial content for the TT Teen Column. In addition, there is mention of a manufacturer who will be doing code 55 flex track on plastic ties :thumbup: :thumbup: (We're still waiting for this!!).

Other manufacturers mentioned include Everett Smith, Gandy Dancer, A&J models and Keystone Structures. One could also obtain a 3 foot section of Gem TT flextrack (rail size not provided) from Precise Scale Models for $1.25. Times have changed....
milwrd1

Postby areibel » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:56 pm

milwrd1 wrote:Also of interest is a photo of a narrow gauge TTn3 1/2 camelback 0-4-0 locomotive built by a teenaged Elmer McKay!! Craig Levay provided the editorial content for the TT Teen Column.

Elmer also had a model in Model Railroader, an N scale Shay- lots of talent!
And Craig LeVay- That's a guy I haven't thought of in a while! I still have to smile every time I think of his rants on the old TTSMR, how expensive everything was getting too expensive, how he could still build freight cars "out of Cheerio's boxes", etc..
I shudder to think what would have happened to TT if guys like that were the movers and shakers now...
areibel

Return to General Discussion