I've got a caboose!

I've got a caboose!

Postby jpachl » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:14 pm

After having gotten my first caboose, I can now run the first real freight train on my US layout. Here are some photos of this train passing through the right part of the layout.

Joern

US-Anlage_14-07_06 von Jörn Pachl auf Flickr
US-Anlage_14-07_07 von Jörn Pachl auf Flickr
US-Anlage_14-07_08 von Jörn Pachl auf Flickr
US-Anlage_14-07_10 von Jörn Pachl auf Flickr
jpachl

Re: I've got a caboose!

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:46 pm

Nice! Do you run your trains at the American TT meets with the other guys?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby jpachl » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:21 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Nice! Do you run your trains at the American TT meets with the other guys?

Not really. However, I had the layout on display at the Lok-n-Roll stand at the modell-hobby-spiel fair in 2012. There, I met with some other US TT folks. While TT is very popular in Germany, in particular in the East, there are just a handful people modelling US prototype. We mainly connect via a German TT internet forum.

Joern
jpachl

Postby sacto-tt » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:31 pm

Joern, very nice. Is that one of the brass ones or from some other source?
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Postby j p » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:32 am

sacto-tt wrote:Joern, very nice. Is that one of the brass ones or from some other source?

It is Joma brass caboose, with the original errors.
Additional errors were added by wrong lettering. Have you considered correcting it? The paintwork is very good. If it was lettered correctly, you'd get an excellent caboose for your Pennsy train.
(the problem has been explained in my reaction on Taxari's pictures of it http://www.ttnut.com/joma-caboose-t342.html#p28799)

I have to repaint my caboose. I was hoping for decals from Greg Komar, but that does not seem to be happening.
Therefore, I'll make a decal set for this N8 caboose. (read this as an offer for help)
j p

Postby Richard-B » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:43 am

j p wrote: I'll make a decal set for this N8 caboose. (read this as an offer for help)
Help available?
I already have the artwork for Conrail and ICG... and partial lettering for the 3 main PRR variants (circle keystone, shadow keystone, keystone...).

The next task is to complete them as decal sets (they are now done as single cars) and to have them produced...
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby j p » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:10 pm

Richard-B wrote:
j p wrote: I'll make a decal set for this N8 caboose. (read this as an offer for help)
Help available?
I already have the artwork for Conrail and ICG... and partial lettering for the 3 main PRR variants (circle keystone, shadow keystone, keystone...).

The next task is to complete them as decal sets (they are now done as single cars) and to have them produced...

The most time consuming is to get enough orders or enough different decal sets to fill the letter-size sheet for printing it :smile:
j p

Postby jpachl » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:48 pm

Maybe, I will consider some re-lettering. However, it's not number one on my priority list. Today, many TT scale US models that run on our layouts may look like a specific prototype but are no exact models. Examples are the Tillig FP7, the 0-6-0 switcher from a & k, and the critter from Lok-N-Roll. See pictures below. I have absolutely no problem with running such models on a layout that also only resembles a specific area but is more or less free-lanced. If I had a layout or diorama exactly modelled after an existing prototypical scene, I would probably see things in a different light and only use equipment that exactly fit to the scene.

Joern

US-Anlage_07-12_2 von Jörn Pachl auf Flickr
US-Anlage_07-12_5 von Jörn Pachl auf Flickr
US exhibition diorama 07 von Jörn Pachl auf Flickr
jpachl

Postby Richard-B » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:25 pm

jpachl wrote:<snip> I have absolutely no problem with running such models on a layout that also only resembles a specific area but is more or less free-lanced. If I had a layout or diorama exactly modelled after an existing prototypical scene, I would probably see things in a different light and only use equipment that exactly fit to the scene.
Joern
A well-stated modelling philosophy.

The criteria I'm building towards are:
    Scenes loosely based on specific local prototype locations...
    Cars and engines which actually ran on the prototype Espee line
    Lettering schemes correct for several time periods... but not mixed together
The GOOD news: We all get what we want.
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby j p » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:08 pm

Yes Joern, I also agree with that. Therefore I did not suggest fixing the Joma's errors (cupola windows and trainphone) - which would require more work.
Leaving the caboose as it is and replacing only the lettering would be a good compromise.
If you wanted to make it according to some specific prototypical scene, you could select a particular car which was in service in that region. (and I can always modify the decal set for you - once I have it ready)
If you make only a free-lanced diorama, then almost any number would do - but IMHO it should be a number belonging to a caboose :grin:

Anyway, who makes the 0-6-0 switcher?
j p

Next

Return to General Discussion