I think I'm a Millionaire!

I think I'm a Millionaire!

Postby areibel » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:32 pm

Or at least stinkin' rich!!
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0538993919
A "motivated buyer" spent about $39 for two Maisto hoppers- with the original (junk) trucks? I thnk it's a rip off when someone is trying for $5 a piece on our Ebay, they originally sold for less than $2 at Wallyworld.
And he also bought a couple HP kits for $35 each? I just wonder where these guys are when I sell stuff?
Sheesh!
areibel

Re: I think I'm a Millionaire!

Postby Marquette » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:10 pm

Not bidding on their own Haggis.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby jmass » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:13 pm

jeeze man! their was a whole lot of maisto including three locos and seven or eight freight cars for ten bucks on tt trains e bay.must be nice to have money to throw away.
jmass

Postby Marquette » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:29 pm

I'm of the opinion that when things go for stupidly high prices like that, it's likely that it's the seller bidding on his own stuff (or a friend doing it for him) to try and slowly drive perceived value up, or just not wanting to sell it as cheaply as the highest real bidder bid...
Marquette

Postby areibel » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:45 pm

I don't think this is a shill job, I recognize the seller and he's respectable. I think it's someone new getting into TT, and
they all think they have to do the same thing- Jump in with your checkbook blazing and pay any price for everything in sight!
I watch Ebay and have kept records for the last 5-6 years, I'll bet I've seen it eight or ten times. That's how you wind up spending $20 for a $2 car that might sorta work as TT.
If only they'd lurk here for a while, they'd learn a lot more fast, and maybe save a few bucks (or Euros).
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:43 am

I wish my items would sell like that..........
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:02 am

now this thread dammit prompted me to spend money... $11-something for a brass RS shell...

...I don't need this thing, why did I buy it? Well. Long-long-term project I guess. Fix it up into Piedmont & Northern or something. Or just not ever do anything with it...
Marquette

Postby Taxari » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:57 am

Hello friends, I am the seller. The problem is that these things like h.p. maisto and cars in Germany were not available. So if you want one, they have to buy on ebay - result = high price.
Same game: old BTTB Zeuke ore stuff is very cheap in Germany and much more expensive on your ocean side.
Greetings
Jörg
Taxari

Postby Marquette » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:21 am

Okay, see... that makes a lot of sense...
Marquette

Postby Richard-B » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:07 pm

Taxari wrote:The problem is that these things like h.p. maisto and cars in Germany were not available. So if you want one, they have to buy on ebay - result = high price.

Agree...
My brother-in-law did a great business in the Lionel die-cast engines that I sent over to Hungary...
They weren't exactly common in Budapest... and his TT-modeler friends think they look great just sitting on the track.

Richard B.
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Next

Return to General Discussion