I need some advice here...

I need some advice here...

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:48 pm

As many here are aware, I have dedicated a great bit of my TT layout time to modules that can be transported to train shows, and that I do not have a fixed layout now.

The rub is that we have found a really nice house that is pretty much almost perfect that we are working on closing on. (The only major flaw is that it is not next to active railroad tracks). It already has goat pens, chicken pens, and the beginnings of a 3 foot deep and 60 foot radius Koi pond, so critter-wise it is perfect.

The barn on the property has a finished weatherproof loft that I am considering using for some of my trains, and such, that brings up the future of my TT layout:

Should I continue to just build modules, or should I build a hybrid layout that the modules can connect to, or should I work on a permanent layout and just finish the modules and use them only for shows?

Advice would be most helpful here.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: I need some advice here...

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:28 pm

It's really up to you. But, I would start with a hybrid so you have a running layout at home from the get go. Once the permanent (home) part is done, you can decide if you you're done or you want to continue building more permanent stuff and leave the show layout for the show.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:33 pm

Things to consider -
How permanent will your new home be? Once you build in your layout(s) how soon will you have to undo the work? You seem to move often.

If you choose to build a permanent layout, then consider the space available and an ideal track plan for the space. Can the modules you build combine with the permanent layout to achieve optimum results? Compromising a permanent layout to accommodate modules may not be a good idea.

What is an adequate module display for train shows? Anything that allows running trains is enough. Any more means extra effort in setting up and bigger truck to haul everything around. If you choose not to build a permanent layout then you can add modules to the ones you have for fuller operation of trains at home. Modules sufficient for a show can be transported and the others left at home.

I can't advise from experience because I have no layout at all, but perhaps these considerations can help you decide for yourself.
-Terry C.
dileTTante

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:29 am

My frequent moves have been solely out of being in the military and a failed move to North Dakota, living in rentals for the duration. This next move is to a house to be bought and to settle down in and raise my chickens and goats in peace. I do not plan or foresee any future moves, especially as I am on full VA disability, and according to my doctors, I should expect to be as such for the rest of my life, so I am trying to make the best of it.

The house itself has a large spare room that would also work for running trains, (around 18' x 12'), so I have the option of having the TT layout in the house, and more trains in the barn.

I think that a hybrid setup may be the best option, but as the concern was raised, it may interfere with optimal running of trains and trolleys.
AstroGoat760

Postby railtwister » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:07 am

Remember that we do this stuff to have fun. Are you still enjoying building the modules and taking them to the shows? If so, I would say continue to do that, and try to not get overwhelmed by attempting to build a large home layout, keep it manageable. Remeber that if you are disabled from work, you'll probably also be somewhat disabled in your hobbies as well, so don't bite off more than you can chew.

Being able to use your modules in conjunction with your home layout is a good idea, as long as taking the modules away to a show doesn't completely disable your home layout. It is quite a bit of extra work to connect the modules to the home layout, and then remove them for every show, so you need to be able to also enjoy the home layout with or without your show modules connected to them.

I once thought I'd like to utilize my HO modules as a home layout when they weren't set up at a show, until I realized that getting them home and setting them up after a show, only to have to break them down again and then load them up for the next show was actually doubling the amount of work (and time) needed to go to the show, and that my home layout would be better if it could be run either way, with or without the show modules. It would be good though, to have a place to set the show modules up all altogether when I want to work on them, rather than having to do it one at a time...

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby Richard-B » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:34 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:Should I continue to just build modules, or should I build a hybrid layout that the modules can connect to, or should I work on a permanent layout and just finish the modules and use them only for shows?.

The TT-scale Mulford Lines is being constructed as an around the room SECTIONAL layout: 4 straight sections, 3 corner sections, and a bridge across the door.

Section: Asymmetrical - each section is custom fitted to its neighbors.
Module: Symmetrical - each module has a uniform end-plate configuration

The On30 YSL (Yosemite Short Line) group I'm part of has used sections since 2003...
from Jim Eckman's site: http://roninengineer.com/index.php/overview
I'm using the same thin-ply + blue foam construction for the home layout.

The major difference is that the YSL is set-up for viewing from outside the loop...
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby CSD » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:32 pm

When I moved into my house a few years back, my first priority was to construct the biggest TT scale layout in North America. The reality is that I have been steadily down sizing it, not really getting anything finished and have finally taken it apart. I'm switching to modules because I want to use them for shows and don't have room to have a home layout and storage another and modular consruction will let me build, finish and enjoy small pieces at a time without getting overwhelmed with a massive project. It can grow into something bigger over time.

I recently read an article that had some good suggestions about sizing a layout that might be relevant to your choice: http://www.raildig.com/raildig-guest/lance-mindheim/
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:08 pm

CSD wrote:When I moved into my house a few years back, my first priority was to construct the biggest TT scale layout in North America. The reality is that I have been steadily down sizing it, not really getting anything finished and have finally taken it apart. I'm switching to modules because I want to use them for shows and don't have room to have a home layout and storage another and modular consruction will let me build, finish and enjoy small pieces at a time without getting overwhelmed with a massive project. It can grow into something bigger over time.

I recently read an article that had some good suggestions about sizing a layout that might be relevant to your choice: http://www.raildig.com/raildig-guest/lance-mindheim/

Funny, we have had the same idea of building the biggest TT layout in North America.

I just remembered one of my other ideas, to have a multi-layout setup, specifically three distinct layouts: one for the North American Proto, one for the continental Europe and Russian proto, and one for Tri-Ang TT. Perhaps the Europe/Russian one can be the modular one, with replaceable buildings to intermix NA proto and Europeana and Russian TT.

Heck, if this place works out, there will be plenty of room for all of it, especially if I use the barn for the layouts. (It has been subdivided into several rooms, so I could feasibly have a different scale that I have in each room).
AstroGoat760

Return to General Discussion