I need some advice (all of it!)

Re: I need some advice (all of it!)

Postby LVG1 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:47 am

Arseny wrote:BTTB is still alive, it is Tillig. It was founded in late 1940s as "Zeuke" and started TT production in 1957, later it was nationalized and renamed into BTTB, in 1990s it was de-nationalized, then it was sold to Mr.Tillig... and so on. But it is still the same company.

I think, you forgot quite a bit.

Zeuke & Wegwerth was founded in 1946.
In 1956 the state became partner and the firm became a limited commercial partnership.
The name was now Zeuke & Wegwerth KG and it produced TT stuff from 1957 on.
The nationalization occured in 1972 with a change of the name: VEB Berliner TT-Bahnen (BTTB has never been an official abbreviation).
In 1990 the firm was denationalized and Mr. Zeuke became general manager. The name now: Berliner TT-Bahnen Zeuke GmbH.
In 1993 the firm went bankrupt.

And from now on the firm did not stay the same.
Mr. Tillig bought the insolvency estate, merged it with Pilz and MaTTra under the new name Berliner TT-Bahnen Pilz GmbH & Co. and moved from Berlin to Sebnitz in Saxony.
Pilz had been a rich in tradition H0-scale track manufacturer which already had a good reputation in GDR-times and had been owned by Mr. Tillig since 1991. MaTTra was founded by Mr. Tillig in 1991 and produced 2 TT-scale locomotives (East German V200 / BR 120 / BR 220 and West German BR 218) which are still produced by Tillig. So the assortment was widened (especially by the Pilz-tracks).
But already in 1993 the name was changed into Tillig Modellbahnen GmbH & Co. KG. And that's what the firm still is—the international market leader in TT stuff.

... an East German success story!!!
Last edited by LVG1 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby Arseny » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:37 am

LVG1, you are absolutely right; you told it more detailed.
I just wanted to say that Zeuke/BTTB was not closed and did not cease the production of TT-stuff, like Rokal or HP.
Tillig is still producing BR.92 that was started in 1957!
Arseny

Postby Petercat » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:19 am

Arseny and LVG1,
Thanks for all of the advice and history. You gave me a lot to digest! But then, model railroading seems to attract people who are curious about things, and I am no exception!
Arseny, I am mostly interested in early German railroad equipment, for two reasons:

1) The equipment is simply prettier. Colorful locomotives, (Did you notice that my first TT train was Prussian?) nice graphics on the wagons, it fits in with what I remember of my time in Germany- a very clean and colorful place!
2) If I make a mistake, the rivet-counters here in the USA are less likely to pounce.

Since my mother was Russian, perhaps I should model your railroads. If I ever find one of these: http://www.aqpl43.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/ ... ssrefr.htm , I will have no choice!

And I'm drooling over the Lok&Roll Santa Fe F3. I got my first F-series in Warbonnet red and yellow when I was six years old (HO Scale) and I have never been without one in some scale ever since. Just something about that paint job. I even painted a 4-8-2 steamer in that graphic once. It was a lot of work, but it actually looked pretty nice. Okay, I'm rambling...
"It's Peter, not Pete. Pete sounds like a bird fart.
Petercat

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:11 am

Petercat wrote:Arseny and LVG1,
Arseny, I am mostly interested in early German railroad equipment, for two reasons:

1) The equipment is simply prettier. Colorful locomotives, (Did you notice that my first TT train was Prussian?) nice graphics on the wagons, it fits in with what I remember of my time in Germany- a very clean and colorful place!
2) If I make a mistake, the rivet-counters here in the USA are less likely to pounce.

There are plenty of colourful North American trains. The Chessie Steam Special former Reading T-1 #2101 was colourful, and so are Southern Railway's passenger locomotives.

Not all of us in the USA are rivet counters. I have yet to produce a car that would satisfy rivet counters fully.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Arseny » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:39 am

Petercat, modelling Germany is a good choice for TT. I am sure, you'll find enough locomotives and wagons for the early German era. Although I doubt you'll find a lot of autos for the 1900s-1920s. But you can use Czech "Laurin & Klement" autos from Davo. Gabor announced Mercedes truck from 1920s, but I am afraid it is not available in fact.

So, you can pay your attention to PMT, Beckmann TT and Jago Modellbau - they produce some German locomotives for I-II eras.

Concerning Russian railroads - you can get a lot of cars from Peresvet (and also some from TT-model, Norkin-model and some other Russian manufacturers). Also there were a lot of former German cars and locomotives after the war in Russia.
I doubt you can find AA steamer :) unless anybody scratchbuild it.

If you, all the same, will prefer America, pay your attention on the Gold Coast cars, they are nice. Also RailTT produce some American cars in a few amount; also you can find old TT-stuff on Ebay.
Last edited by Arseny on Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arseny

Postby Arseny » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:44 am

...and if you like colorful F-units, but prefer European railroads, try NOHAB locomotive from Tillig.
It was based on the licensed EMD F units and was used in different European countries.
Arseny

Postby LVG1 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:51 am

Petercat wrote:Since my mother was Russian, perhaps I should model your railroads. If I ever find one of these: http://www.aqpl43.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/ ... ssrefr.htm , I will have no choice!

As far as I know AA-20 prototype so often derailed on switches that it couldn't be used in revenue service. And that's why it was never mass produced.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby Arseny » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:15 am

Yes, you are right. It derailed on switches, destroyed the curves, and, additionally, it could not fit into existing turnouts and locomotive sheds.
So, it performed only few experimental trips in 1935, and then was retired. It was scrapped in 1960.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C5%BDD-B ... 0%D0%90_20
Arseny

Postby scaro » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:18 pm

Arseny wrote:...and if you like colorful F-units, but prefer European railroads, try NOHAB locomotive from Tillig.
It was based on the licensed EMD F units and was used in different European countries.

not really ... the NOHAB was directly based on the australian ML2s built for the victorian railways. it was they that were an F7 redesigned by clyde - the australian GM franchisee - on six axle trucks.
scaro

Postby j p » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:18 pm

scaro wrote:
Arseny wrote:...and if you like colorful F-units, but prefer European railroads, try NOHAB locomotive from Tillig.

not really ... the NOHAB was directly based on the australian ML2s built for the victorian railways. it was they that were an F7 redesigned by clyde - the australian GM franchisee - on six axle trucks.

I hope that all understand it right. Just for record: they have three-axle trucks, of course (not six). The locomotive has 2 trucks, each of them with 3 axles :doh:
I have scanned NoHAB drawings of DSB class MY, pm if you want them.
j p

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion