I need NorthWest Shortline update

I need NorthWest Shortline update

Postby D Martin » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:54 pm

I have been trying lately to get up my information so I can order a few sets of gears. i ordered the same items in 1985, but NWSL was in Seattle at that time and I believe were different people than now. Their website has me confused. I don't see how to enter the information about the gears I want. Just two sizes of gear, 5 pieces of each. Should be simple??? I think I need to contact a person but their web site does not help me. Has anyone on this forum dealt with NWSL lately? Any help will be appreciated.

Dennis in W. Tennessee
D Martin

Re: I need NorthWest Shortline update

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:40 am

I needed something and contacted them a couple of years ago. They were not helpful. Anyway, the contact info given on their site is:

NorthWest Short Line
PO Box 1349
Hamilton, MT 59840 USA

phone (406) 375-7555
fax (406)-375-7559
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby D Martin » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:41 pm

Thanks1 This gives me something to work with. Much appreciated.

Dennis in W. Tennessee
D Martin

Postby Richard-B » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:55 am

ConducTTor wrote:I needed something and contacted them a couple of years ago. They were not helpful.

WOW That's unfortunate! I've had just the opposite experience.

My latest order shipped to me 11/21/2013... and like previous ones, was perfect.

The thing that may have changed in the last 18 years (since 1985 - besides the prices) is the economic viability of producing short runs of seldom-ordered gears or other items. If you order is for something no longer stocked... it may get queued-up for production later, or you might just get an "unable to supply" response.

The Customer Service contact (Lynda) was at <sales@osorail.com>
David Rygmar, the new owner is at <davidry@osorail.com>...
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:32 am

My question was about some motors they had on their site. It took 3 emails to get a response and it was like they were annoyed that I bothered them. Who knows, maybe someone was just having a bad day.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Richard-B » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:03 am

ConducTTor wrote:Who knows, maybe someone was just having a bad day.

Hmm... There's no excuse for bad service.

I wonder if this was during the transition between owners? It did take Oso Rails a while to "get the wheels back on" while transitioning NWSL from Seattle.

As is often the case with a change of ownership, the "new" NWSL is not -exactly- the same as the old. This works both ways; some products withdrawn... new ones added.
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby scaro » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:19 pm

I have found them OK since the new owners took over, but have found that persistence does pay. I find the website and cattledog near to inexplicable, and hence I try to get hold of a human being there ASAP to sort out my needs.

Ben
scaro

Postby D Martin » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:54 pm

I have made contact with NWSL, and the parts I need should be arriving soon. Will post more later.....

Dennis in W. Tenn.
D Martin

Postby scaro » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:26 am

i ordered some wheels today. i'll see how it goes. never had a problem previously except with a delay during the changeover.

i seldom bother with catalog numbers, just tell them the code of wheel profile, the diameter in inches (usually in HO scale ) - common ones for TT are their HOn3 diameters, that is a 24" HO wheel = 33" TT wheel, 26" HO wheel = 36" TT one and a 28" HO wheel = 40" TT one- and not forgetting the bore diameter in mm, and bushing details if you are after insulated wheels.

i doubt they know or care about TT , so speak a language that means something to them; that usually means 'HO'.

check over your info and calculations carefully before hitting send.

it speeds things up if you are able to order dimensions you know NWSL does already. fortunately i do not think we are likely to need anything that isn't done,with the exception of code 72 profile wheels which would be superior for our purposes than code 88. but though NWSL did do a code 72 range, they don't now, except in N diameters. that's a matter that might be best taken up with dave who is probably best placed to say.

the more customised your requirements, the slower things can be.
scaro

Postby scaro » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:40 am

just heard back. a couple of things.

i wanted some wheels drilled for 1mm axles (this is to convert the Atlas N C628 chassis for TT for locos with AAR B trucks. no dice on that one. they say they do not do custom jobs anymore. i can work around that but inevitably it's less straightforward.

if what you want is within the parameters of what they already do, then it's fine. the other part of my order was 28" (HO) wheels drilled for 2.4mm/ (3/32" ) axles and that was OK and they were very responsive. $US1.25 a wheel.
scaro

Return to General Discussion