I don't know why I do this...

Talk about anything and everything!

I don't know why I do this...

Postby Marquette » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:36 pm

...but every so often I do (or something related), and get into a horrible angry annoyed depressed mood.

I just watched "The Arrow" (oddly enough, for the first time), you see... and it's the same thing as after every time I think of the Avro Arrrow: I get angry at Diefenbaker et al for cancelling that program and condemning Canada to being the second-rate power it is... sure we've still done some pretty awesome things, but we could have been (and SHOULD have been) the world's leader in technology...

I'll stop now before I write a book of my ranting!

I *know* thinking about it gets me pissed off, yet I do it anyways. Go figure.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Re: I don't know why I do this...

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:39 pm

Canada is just America's hat. Relax :wink:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:05 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Canada is just America's hat. Relax :wink:

What does that make Mexico?......
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:21 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:

What does that make Mexico?......

A hot mess?
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:21 pm

We're the ones on top. ;)

We just don't show it much...
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:35 pm

Eh, honestly I don't much give a Haggis for "us" and "them". My "Bulgarianness" ended when at 10 years old I was taken out of there. Once in America, I had a hard time acclimating due to being different (read - not American). Ultimately I feel neither. So, since I have no feeling of belonging, I consider myself a citizen of the world. I suppose because of that I have a very "why can't we just get along" attitude to all the world's problems.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:09 am

I was born and raised in Canada, but raised Hungarian - spoke only that at home, went to Hungarian school and Hungarian scouts etc., I felt myself more Hungarian than anything else until I was 15 or 16 (though even then, I did always think of myself as a loyal subject of Her Majesty since grade 1). It really set in when I went to Europe for nearly a year in 1995, including a good 5 months in Hungary. That just helped reinforce my growing sense of being Canadian. I don't fit in anywhere in Europe where I have relatives - I'm not "X" enough, I'm too "North American". As I've grown older, and the more I let myself learn about Canada, the more I've let myself become Canadian, the more I feel at home here, the more pride I take in what accomplishments my country /has/ made, etc.

At the same time, that Canadianness does, I think, bring about my "why can't we be friends" attitude that gets mocked/questioned/misunderstood on the Old Continent, especially where the majority of my relatives and friends are - in Hungary, Romania and ex-Yugoslavia.

I don't see why we can't all take pride in our countries/heritage/whatever, and still all get along. Love of country is /not/ the same as nationalism.

Nationalism is a strange thing. Something I'll never forget is the first two weeks I ever spent in Bosnia, in 1999. I travelled around a lot by hitchhiking - I found you really get to know a country like that, meet the average sort of people, etc. Plus, ex-YU had a big "autostop" culture back in the Good Days, with national hitchhiking clubs, etc., so there wasn't the sort of hesitance on the part of drivers as there is elsewhere (though, from what I've heard, they're a lot more hesitant post-war than before the war). Anyroad, I'm digressing. I entered Bosnia from Croatia, through the border at Novi Grad, went first to Prijedor and Banja Luka, in the Serbian half of the country (Republika Srpska). A guy picked me up in his old Zastava near Prijedor, drove me to Banja Luka, and offered to buy me lunch. I said, "thanks, I have money so I can pay, but I'll join you, sure." And then afterwards he insisted on paying, saying "I'm a Serb, we're like that - we love guests and take care of them." Later on, down on my way back from Sarajevo towards Zenica, deep in a Bosnian Muslim part of the country, an almost identical thing happened. When I got out of the car, the driver got out too, and gave me his packed lunch. On a whim I asked why he did this, since I have money. He said, "it says in the Koran that it's a duty to help the traveller, to care for the guest." It struck me then how bizarre it is that these people fought each other for 5 years, when both groups really, when it comes down to it, have a very similar outlook on life.

Things like that added up to help me realise just how bloody lucky I am to have been born where I was born.
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:48 am

I have no problem waging my income from now until until the day I die that if you put any two cultures together as simply people without the politics, they'll get along well. Unfortunately the world works in much shittier ways.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby jmass » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:25 am

being a very proud american myself, i find myself more pissed off by ridiculous things like why is it that european countries have all kind of tt products and in the country where the scale was invented you would have to find ten different companies to make different parts so you could have a semi running locomotive? hey you got to have priorities!
jmass

Postby Marquette » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:28 am

@jmass - Actually, I find it a delicious irony that one of the only two scales invented in the USA - and post-WW2 at that - survived and became the most popular scale in the Soviet bloc. ;)
Marquette

Return to Off Topic