HP wheels

HP wheels

Postby scaro » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:57 am

The HP wagon wheels were pretty amazing quality for 1946. With the calipers I measure them as .075" so code 75 which is considerably finer than N would use twenty years later, and they have fine flanges able to run on code 40 rail. They scale to 33". Wheel faces correctly rendered too. Only downfall is they come with flush axles rather than pointed so you'd need to adjust a lot of trucks to use them.

Did HP offer a 36" wheel or any other sizes?

Cheers

Ben
scaro

Re: HP wheels

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:31 pm

I am not sure if they are original or not, but one of my HP 2-8-0s has a smaller than usual wheel set than the rest of my fleet has for the lead truck.

As the wheels are a little different shade than the bulk of my HP fleet, I think they might not be original, perhaps from a different scale or make.

The rest of my HP steam engines that have lead/trailing trucks (2-8-0(x2), 4-6-2(x2), 2-8-2) have "standard" sized HP wheelsets.

From what I have researched into HP Products, I do not think that HP made 36" wheels, although other makers might have.
AstroGoat760

Postby scaro » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:22 pm

Hi on TT_IMS one poster said the HP passenger car wheels are 36".

I imagine getting hold of any would not be so easy!

Ben
scaro

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:41 pm

33" 36" not much difference in size, at least in the models.

The wheels on my HP passenger cars, HP 2-8-2 lead and trailing trucks, and freight cars, with the one exception mentioned before, are all the same.

I may very well have made a measurement error with the wheels I have, in determining 33" or 36".
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Return to HP Products TT Scale Models