Miscellaneous NA type Tank Cars

Miscellaneous NA type Tank Cars

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:56 pm

Below is a trio of TT scale North American proto Tankers.

The lettering on the car is a decorated section of paper that is glued to the wooden dowel used for the body of the car.
Each of the cars below uses a different framing system.
This car uses a wooden frame.

This car uses a metal frame.
ImageImage

This car uses a custom made frame, similar to the type used in other car types.

[EDIT, removed references to these cars as being from HP Products, as that is not a proven fact (or not as of now).]
Last edited by AstroGoat760 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: HP Products Tank Cars

Postby milwrd1 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:29 pm

I've been reviewing some of the old posts (to catch up) and found this. I certainly don't mean to offend anybody or step on any toes. HP did not make any tank cars. When I read this, I checked all of the old info....the HP catalogs, some early HP promotional info from 1947, and the articles the late Hank Brown wrote in TT Empire in 1992 titled "Hal Joyce - Inventor and Founder of TT Scale....". In reviewing these, no evidence or photos of any HP tank cars were located.

From the photos listed in the previous post, the Texaco tank car TCX 5105 is a Starline tank car. The Magnolia tank car shown (MPCX 1037), is a early production Gandy Dancer tank car, kit # T4. A photo of the Gandy Dancer Magnolia tank car appears in Gandy Dancer catalogs A, B, C and D.

I will post a photo of Texaco Tank car TCX 5105 in the Starline folder.
milwrd1

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:23 pm

Angry, you wanna split this up and post in the appropriate sub forums? Then I can delete this since it's wrong.
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:19 pm

Good Catch!
It looks like the Magnolia car has a Starline dome on it though? All the Gandy Dancer cars I've seen only had a wood dowel as the dome, the Starlines had a plastic one with more detail?
Al
areibel

Postby milwrd1 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:28 pm

areibel wrote:Good Catch!
It looks like the Magnolia car has a Starline dome on it though? All the Gandy Dancer cars I've seen only had a wood dowel as the dome, the Starlines had a plastic one with more detail?
Al

Al....It may be a Starline dome on the Magnolia tank. The early Starline domes were wood, the later kit versions had a plastic dome. I've posted a picture of the wood Starline dome in the Starline tank car folder.
milwrd1

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:53 pm

What editing should I do? Or should the post just be deleted and started again?
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:55 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:What editing should I do? Or should the post just be deleted and started again?

It would be nice to put each model under the manufacturer it belongs to since these appear to be incorrect for HP. But I guess there's still some ambiguity about exactly what they are?
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:47 pm

ConducTTor wrote:
AngrySailor302 wrote:What editing should I do? Or should the post just be deleted and started again?

It would be nice to put each model under the manufacturer it belongs to since these appear to be incorrect for HP. But I guess there's still some ambiguity about exactly what they are?

I am not 100% sure of what make they are myself, however, all three cars listed came in HP boxes that were factory labeled for tank cars.
AstroGoat760

Postby areibel » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:21 pm

That's odd, I double checked my HP catalogs too and they don't show tank cars. Were they the blue and silver boxes or the older gray plain ones? And can you post pics of the labels on the boxes?
areibel

Postby milwrd1 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:32 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:I am not 100% sure of what make they are myself, however, all three cars listed came in HP boxes that were factory labeled for tank cars.

I would also be very interested in seeing the HP boxes. There should only be a question about 1 of the tank cars shown. I have original kits in original boxes for Starline TCX 5105 and the Gandy Dancer Magnolia MPCX 1037 tank car (GD kit # T4). The other tank car shown is difficult to identify, since the car number can't be determined. I would be extremely surprised :o :shock: if the third tank car is HP. I do not believe so. The HP catalogs never showed any tank cars.
milwrd1

Next

Return to HP Products TT Scale Models