Miscellaneous NA type Tank Cars

Re: HP Products Tank Cars

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:57 pm

areibel wrote:That's odd, I double checked my HP catalogs too and they don't show tank cars. Were they the blue and silver boxes or the older gray plain ones? And can you post pics of the labels on the boxes?

If memory serves, they were the blue and silver boxes, although I could be wrong, as I have not personally looked at the boxes in since before I left Connecticut back in August 2010, as a great deal of my HP freight cars are in a combined padded box for transit as many of those HP boxes were in rather poor shape, so I removed the contents of most and put them in a large plastic bin for safe keeping.

The issue is that very little aside from the active locomotives, cars, and track has been unpacked since then, and with our imminent pending move to a permanent house within the next month or so, I cannot justify blindly tearing apart packing boxes to find them.

On top of that, the more that I think about it, there is a distinct possibility that the labels may not be factory, as I do recall at a train show in Pennsylvania some years ago, shortly after I first got into North American TT, that a seller had "new" labels for HP boxes that included breakdown crane, something that HP never cataloged. And I have had a few boxes that have had newer labeled affixed atop the old one, which may be the case here.

I will alter the title of the thread to reflect the uncertainty here, and if anything, it can be moved to the miscellaneous NA section.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Miscellaneous NA type Tank Cars

Postby milwrd1 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:22 pm

Some of the older HP boxes are indeed in bad shape. Many are severely sun bleached from being stored in sunny locations (in many cases the blue color is almost gone). It is not unheard of for sellers of TT equipment to re-use the HP boxes by applying a new label. All should be aware of this, especially when purchasing on eBay. Also, many of the sellers who come across TT equipment automatically "default" to HP, the most commonly known manufacturer. They just don't know that NA TT equipment in the 1950's and 60's was manufactured by several other companies.
milwrd1

Previous

Return to HP Products TT Scale Models