HP Products MU Car

HP Products MU Car

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:50 am

The HP Products Multiple Unit car is something unique in the HP Products line up. The motor is the same Pittman DC60 motor used by the steam locomotives that HP Products unleashed on model train market.

The difference is in how power is transmitted to the wheels:
The motor has a rubber tire fitted onto the shaft, which moves a metal wheel in the power truck, which is in the center of an axle with worm gears on both ends, which couple up to gears on the front axles.

Depending on how the car is kept up and where it is kept at, the traction tire can be a source of headache, as if the tire breaks, the unit is rendered powerless.

The MU car was part of the entry level set that HP Products sold, as it is a self-contained train, and sometimes was paired up with one or more "trailers" - the same unit, but with no motor.

There were two versions of the MU Car, the Combine Version, which has a coach area, and a baggage area, and the coach version, which lacks a baggage area, but has more seating.
Both MU cars shown are the Combine Version.

* Images moved to TTNut's server because they sometimes take too long to load. If there is an issue with this, please let me know. -A *

DSCF7203.jpg

DSCF7205.jpg

Closeup of the traction tire:
DSCF7206.jpg

Closeup of the power truck:
DSCF7207.jpg
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: HP Products MU Car

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:04 pm

Here is an old ad for the HP Products MU Car

* Images moved to TTNut's server because they sometimes take too long to load. If there is an issue with this, please let me know. -A *

HPProductsMUad.jpg
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:20 pm

Here are photos of the Coach version of the HP Products MU Car, both powered and dummy.

100_5618.jpg

100_5617.jpg

100_5616.jpg
AstroGoat760

Postby TinGoat » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:39 pm

Hi James,

AngrySailor302 wrote:The difference is in how power is transmitted to the wheels:
The motor has a rubber tire fitted onto the shaft, which moves a metal wheel in the power truck, which is in the center of an axle with worm gears on both ends, which couple up to gears on the front axles.

DSCF7206.jpg

Interesting mechanism.

Instead of replacing the mechanism, you could modify it.

I wonder... If you cut a groove into the metal wheel, you could fit a rubber "O" ring onto it to replace the tire.

Maybe scuff up the wheel with the worms on it for some added traction.

Inversely, you could cut a groove into the wheel with the worms to fit a rubber "O" ring and scuff up the one on the motor.

The "O" rings would be easy to source at a local hardware store in the plumbing section.

Also, it looks like the motor is mounted on a leaf. Remount the motor on a hinge and add a spring that will pull the motor down against the drive. Or, at least allow the weight of the motor to press more firmly against the drive...
Happy Railroadin'
The Tin Goat
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Overlooking Fairbank on the Toronto Belt Line
Ontario, Dominion of Canada
====
The Ontario Narrow Gauge Show:
http://www.narrowgaugeontario.com
====
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog:
http://humbervalleysimcoerailway.blogspot.com/
====
"Do you mind being apathetic?"
TinGoat

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:39 pm

TinGoat wrote:Hi James,

AngrySailor302 wrote:The difference is in how power is transmitted to the wheels:

DSCF7206.jpg

Interesting mechanism.

Instead of replacing the mechanism, you could modify it.

I wonder... If you cut a groove into the metal wheel, you could fit a rubber "O" ring onto it to replace the tire.

Maybe scuff up the wheel with the worms on it for some added traction.

Inversely, you could cut a groove into the wheel with the worms to fit a rubber "O" ring and scuff up the one on the motor.

The "O" rings would be easy to source at a local hardware store in the plumbing section.

Also, it looks like the motor is mounted on a leaf. Remount the motor on a hinge and add a spring that will pull the motor down against the drive. Or, at least allow the weight of the motor to press more firmly against the drive...

The main reason I am going to replace the drive mechanism is that I need some of the motor parts for my HP steamers, which are harder to swap out motors with newer types.
AstroGoat760

Postby TinGoat » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:49 am

Hi James,

Your thesis did not stipulate that you were going to remotor the MU and use its parts for other equipment. :crazy:

I perceived that this was a show and tell. An expose of the MU's qualities and potential short comings. :mrgreen:

I was merely suggesting an improvement to the mechanism if one was desired. :lol:

:ugeek: Carry on lad! :mrgreen:
Happy Railroadin'
The Tin Goat
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
====
====
====
TinGoat

Postby richardedmonds » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:46 pm

I am not sure how true this is but I was led to beleive that the drive rubber in the HP MU was an old type American tap (fawcett) washer. Does this ring true with any of you American plumbing types or not?????
richardedmonds

Postby TinGoat » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:19 pm

richardedmonds wrote:I am not sure how true this is but I was led to beleive that the drive rubber in the HP MU was an old type American tap (fawcett) washer. Does this ring true with any of you American plumbing types or not?????

Yes, it could be.... I'd need an end view of the flywheel to be sure...
Happy Railroadin'
The Tin Goat
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
====
====
====
TinGoat

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:27 pm

TinGoat wrote:
richardedmonds wrote:I am not sure how true this is but I was led to beleive that the drive rubber in the HP MU was an old type American tap (fawcett) washer. Does this ring true with any of you American plumbing types or not?????

Yes, it could be.... I'd need an end view of the flywheel to be sure...

When I get the box that the HP MU Combine is in unpacked, I will pull the motor and take a picture of the drive pulley end, and supply measurements as well.
AstroGoat760

Postby D Martin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:14 pm

Hello, all:
I have an HP MU car on which I replaced the rubber drive ring. I removed the flywheel, and installed a brass pulley from North West Short Line or Kemtron. I was able to put the worm shaft from the truck into a drill chuck without damaging the worms, and used a round file to make a groove in the brass friction wheel. This resulted in a workable pulley. I got spring belt material from the same shop that had the NWSL or Kemtron pulley mentioned above. This resembles the spring belt drives on motion picture projectors in the 1930's and into the 1960's. With the spring belt drive, the MU unit runs smoother and does not rattle or chatter. I chose a the pulley for the motor that is smaller then the modified pulley on the worm shaft. In this way, the unit runs slower and is much better behaved. I can make a picture if people are intereseted. Also, I may have the part numbers for the pulley and spring belt.

Dennis
D Martin

Next

Return to HP Products TT Scale Models