HP Products MU Car

Re: HP Products MU Car

Postby D Martin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi, again to all:
Just as information, The message in this thread that talks about a source of rubber ring for the MU is not far off. I have found there is a rubber ring included in a plumbing item which is a copper pipe or tube intended to connect to a toilet inlet valve, or to a faucet on a lavatory or sink. The problem I have found is that the rubber piece is not smooth and therefore not suitable for a drive unit. Perhaps it could be made smooth and round, but it does not seem worth the trouble. I found my pulley system to be satisfactory (see my previous post).

The original flywheel on the MU motor has a raised flange or ridge at each end, but the main body of it is one-half inch diameter.

Another random fact on the MU: The original motors I have seen on the MU's have an armature with three segments, not five as on an HP loco. Also, the MU motors do not have notches on the sides of either pole piece, so the motor will not fit between the pair of drive wheels, as it must on the HP steamers.

Dennis
D Martin

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:19 pm

It is possible to make the needed notches though. Nothing is impossible in TT, some things just take more effort.
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Postby D Martin » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:13 pm

The HP advertisement (in this discussion thread) for the MU car was new to me! I have had several of the MU cars for many years. The description of sectional track was somewhat of a surprise to me, in that I have never seen it in HP literature. However, a year ago or longer, I bought through Ebay a set of the wooden roadbed with rails attached. It is stamped HP Products on the bottom. It has the common HP brass rail with the extended rib on bottom. There are six curved pieces, each making 60 degrees, so three make half a circle. included were two straight pieces, so an oval can be assembled. The oval measures about 22 by 29 inches over the outside of the roadbed. Radius is about 10-1/4 inches. Interestingly, the ties are not raised as on Star-Line and Alco wood roadbed. The HP ties are simply stenciled on in shiny black paint. They look fairly good against the grey painted ground color.

By the way, In my humble opinion, calling the MU car a "Silver Arrow" was a real example of advertising "hype"! Wonderful!
D Martin

Postby Murad » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:55 pm

Does there any prototype of the MU car exist?
WTB any of the HP Products locomotive parts
Murad

Postby Arseny » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:19 am

I do not have that MU cars made by HP, but as it seems to me, the Reading's cars look quite similar:

rdg803-1.jpg
Arseny

Previous

Return to HP Products TT Scale Models