HP Products 2-8-2

HP Products 2-8-2

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:52 pm

Here are some photos of my HP Products 2-8-2. Like all other HP Products locomotives and power units, the HP Mikado is propelled by a DC-60 motor.
The frame is very closely related to that of the HP Products 4-6-2. The boiler is the same as that used on the HP Products Pacific.

The engine is 53/8" long, from the tip of the pilot to the end of the cab. The engine is 11/2" tall, and 11/16" wide.
The tender is 31/4" long, minus drawbar and coupler. The tender is 15/16" tall and 11/16" wide.
The engine and tender combined, with the present drawbar is 83/8" long, from the tip of the pilot to the end of the tender, minus the coupler
The engine and tender weigh in at 1 lb. 3 oz.

Like the rest of HP Product's larger steamers, this engine uses are rather heavy amount of brass, as is evident in these photos.

The "Paw Print of Approval"..... (One of Peaches' kittens checking out the new engine.)
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: HP Products 2-8-2

Postby Arseny » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:14 am

Nice locomotive. Is it running well?
But why it is not painted?

I have seen the same loco on ebay.com, maybe it was yours?
Arseny

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:07 am

I am not sure that any HP loco's are that reliable or even run well compared to more modern stuff. However having said that it was looking at a Mikado the same as that, that first got me into American TT in the first place and I personaly think they are great if not a little basic or crude.
richardedmonds

Postby Marquette » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:50 am

Crudity or basicness isn't a problem - it can always be detailed up! I've seen old Tri-Ang HO steam locomotives (the only Canadian-proto steamer ever made in HO plastic RTR) detailed up to a very nice level. So, no reason it can't be done with HP locomotives, either!
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:27 pm

Thats right, but trouble now is HP are pretty much collectors items and fetch good prices. I wonder how many would like to alter the original looks. I would, but then again I am not really a collector
richardedmonds

Postby Marquette » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:02 pm

richardedmonds wrote:Thats right, but trouble now is HP are pretty much collectors items and fetch good prices. I wonder how many would like to alter the original looks. I would, but then again I am not really a collector

If it could serve as a basis for building an accurate model of something belonging to one of the roads I model, I would as well.

Perhaps some might say that that's "disrespectful" to history, but I think rather the opposite!
Marquette

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:37 pm

TTQuebec wrote:
richardedmonds wrote:Thats right, but trouble now is HP are pretty much collectors items and fetch good prices. I wonder how many would like to alter the original looks. I would, but then again I am not really a collector

If it could serve as a basis for building an accurate model of something belonging to one of the roads I model, I would as well.

Perhaps some might say that that's "disrespectful" to history, but I think rather the opposite!

As far as the larger HP steamers are concerned (2-8-2, 4-6-2, 4-4-2), I have no intention of altering the engine, aside from replacing the couplers and pickup wire from the tender to the loco, as older wire used a cloth jacket and older rubber that did not take age and flexing well, and it is impossible get more of the HP automatic couplers, and I want a uniform coupler for my North American fleet.

With some of my smaller HP steamers, there will be some modifications, mainly due to damage to the engine as it is. With the damaged pilots on two of my HP 0-6-0's, they will become a 2-6-0 and a 2-6-2, using the directions in the HP catalog for making the said modifications.

I have yet to get an old HP loco that did not need to get it's paint redone, this one showed up with no paint at all, either the person who had it before me never painted it, or he stripped it down and never got around to painting it.

As far as being worse than newer models, I can't say that HP products engines are worse. Sure, they draw more current because of the motor design, and they do not use traction tires, but I really do not see what the issue is. Compared to other maker's engines for the time period, HP engines were better than a number of their competitor's HO scale offerings.

Aside from higher current draw, the only other real difference that some people might try to use against HP Product's motive power offerings is the noise.

Aside from the DMU, all HP engines use metal gears (The DMU uses a traction tire fixed to the motor which drives a wheel in the driving truck), while most later model locomotives use nylon or plastic plastic gears, or a rubber drive belt. Metal gears last longer than plastic gears, and drive belts have a very short life span, especially when subjected to actual use.

On top of that, modern model locomotives use can motors, which by their very nature are quieter than open frame motors, but that comes with a downside: can motors are designed for single use - they are not easily or economically repaired. The DC-60 motor that is the very heart of the HP products line is rather easily repaired, and it is still possible to get new brushes for it.

For the available technology at the time, I would have to say that HP Products put out some good looking items.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Rob M » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:48 pm

This is the one that got me started in TT. It was purchased by my dad back in the 60's. When I stripped it for repainting I found that the boiler had been brass plated. I assume that was for easier soldering of some of the details?

Dead image links removed.
Last edited by Rob M on Wed May 02, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob M

Postby areibel » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:58 pm

Another Beauty!
I've heard two different uses for the brass plating on white metal boilers- first was it did make it easier to solder on additional details. Second was it was more stable as a paint surface- evidently some of the white metals used (there are actually several different mixes, as well as plain old lead) wouldn't hold paint that well, especially some of the older lacquers used that would get brittle and flake off. I've never seen it on a TT boiler though, only HO.
areibel

Postby Marquette » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:39 pm

You know, most of the HP locomotives I've seen photos of have been unpainted or looking rather tattered. But now I see that when they're painted and in good shape, like the Rio Grande one above, I have to say, wow, they look surprisingly good!
Marquette

Next

Return to HP Products TT Scale Models