HP locos and track switches.

HP locos and track switches.

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:14 pm

I know, I know, our layout is still in the planning phase.

We are having to consider what track switches we should use for the layout, considering that we have some relatively large HP steamers in our fleet. Our largest loco is an HP Challenger 4-6-6-4, and the largest non-articulated loco is a pair of HP 4-8-2 Mountains.

Would a Tillig EW-2 work for these locos, or should we just go with the EW-3 for mainlines?

Or should we find a different make of switch?

Any input as to what to look out for/advice would be appreciated.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: HP locos and track switches.

Postby Arseny » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:35 pm

My biggest locomotive is Mountain.
According to my calculations, I beleive it will work with EW2, but I did not test it yet.
Arseny

Postby j p » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:56 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:I know, I know, our layout is still in the planning phase.

We are having to consider what track switches we should use for the layout, considering that we have some relatively large HP steamers in our fleet. Our largest loco is an HP Challenger 4-6-6-4, and the largest non-articulated loco is a pair of HP 4-8-2 Mountains.

Would a Tillig EW-2 work for these locos, or should we just go with the EW-3 for mainlines?

Or should we find a different make of switch?

Any input as to what to look out for/advice would be appreciated.

EW3 is better if you want to use Tillig. EW2 should work too, but try to avoid S curves with it. Check the guidelines for improving them. Also, remember that the geometry of Tillig's switches does not correspond to any NA or EU standard switch. It was made to fit into Tillig's track system, not as a model of any real switch. So if you can accept that, you can use Tillig.
HP switches with Star line wood ties bedding would also work, of course. The geometry of HP switches is correct.
I don't know of any other make of switches for reasonable price. I have heard some rumors that Kuehn had plans for making switches but I don't know when.

Hand-made switches, TT-Filligran or Art&Detail are in a different price category.
j p

Postby Arseny » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:11 pm

j p wrote:I don't know of any other make of switches for reasonable price.

Russian company "TT-model" offers code 70 rails and 12-degree switches http://tt-model.spb.ru/2-2/
(It is joint stock company with German Kruger TT)
Arseny

Postby gerhard_k » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:20 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote: Our largest loco is an HP Challenger 4-6-6-4, and the largest non-articulated loco is a pair of HP 4-8-2 Mountains.

In my perpetual planning process :whistle: I have made the following notes:

The EW2 is basically a #5, and if you build it from a kit (which is also much cheaper than ready-made, see at Eurotrainhobby), you can avoid the curvature past the frog, which makes it much better for use in yards. Your engines will probably go through these at low speed, but will look less than graceful. :snooty:
Our Danish friend j_p has published a very thorough guide for improving Tillig turnouts, or assembling them from kits, here at tillig-turnout-kits-guide-t1643.html

The EW3 is basically a #6, its installed length is 1.5" longer than an EW2, which may make a difference in a tight yard situation, but for mainline crossovers, I would use these; the whole train will look more pleasing.

We have had some extensive discussion about turnouts previously, at turnout-dimensions-t1006-10.html - this thread might be helpful.
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby j p » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:31 pm

Arseny wrote:
j p wrote:I don't know of any other make of switches for reasonable price.

Russian company "TT-model" offers code 70 rails and 12-degree switches http://tt-model.spb.ru/2-2/
(It is joint stock company with German Kruger TT)

Yes, I know about it, but what is the curve radius of that switch? Could you test it?
Maybe I should try to order some samples.
References say that the flextrack from TT-model is better than Kuehn.
(Have they started production of the double-slip yet?)
j p

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:16 pm

gerhard_k check your PMs please.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:48 pm

j p wrote:
Arseny wrote:Russian company "TT-model" offers code 70 rails and 12-degree switches http://tt-model.spb.ru/2-2/

Yes, I know about it, but what is the curve radius of that switch? Could you test it?

I do not know the radius, but maybe it will help

TT-model Kruger tracks.jpg

(old Kruger switches, I beleive they are identical with the TT-model ones)
Arseny

Return to General Discussion