HP fasteners?

HP fasteners?

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:58 am

I am in a bit of a pickle here. I have reach the point in the restoration of my HP Challenger where I need to remove one of the eccentric rods to replace the valve hanger.

I need to find out what size hobby wrench to buy to remove and install the little bolts that hold the rods to the wheels. I do not want to risk rounding off the bolts with a needle nose pliers set, as well as risk damaging the eccentric rod.

Also does anyone know the size screw that HP used to fasten the trucks to the car bodies? I seem to have forgotten that as well. I need that so I can order more.

Thanks.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: HP fasteners?

Postby areibel » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:02 am

The easiest way to find your "wrench" is to take the loco to a good hardware store. Look for the Allen head cap screws, those work great as a socket to get the hex head screws out of the drive rods. I think the one I bought cost 35 cents, vs. a special micro nut driver that was something like $6. I took the screw and epoxied it into an old stand off from a junked computer so it was a little longer. I can't remember the actual decimal size, but it is a standard size.
And the wood screwd, I think they're size 0 by 3/8? Again I'd have to measure one but if you need some here's the place-
http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/p ... TWSRWB.cfm

Lots of other places sell packages of a dozen for two bucks, this price is by the hundred!
areibel

Re: HP fasteners?

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:32 pm

areibel wrote:The easiest way to find your "wrench" is to take the loco to a good hardware store. Look for the Allen head cap screws, those work great as a socket to get the hex head screws out of the drive rods. I think the one I bought cost 35 cents, vs. a special micro nut driver that was something like $6. I took the screw and epoxied it into an old stand off from a junked computer so it was a little longer. I can't remember the actual decimal size, but it is a standard size.
And the wood screwd, I think they're size 0 by 3/8? Again I'd have to measure one but if you need some here's the place-
http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/p ... TWSRWB.cfm

Lots of other places sell packages of a dozen for two bucks, this price is by the hundred!

Thanks. I took the rear drive element of my HP Challenger to the local hobby store, with the idea of matching up one of the wrenches he had for sale with the bolts, but none fit exactly. Since my caliper turned up couple of days ago, I think I might be able to figure out the head size to order the wrench.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Return to Prototypes / Models