HP boxcars

Post your photos and video links here

HP boxcars

Postby jmass » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:29 pm

A couple of boxcars I just finished building. all but the add ons that is. butchered the hell out of the bottom of the paper sides but hope a coat of clear coat might dull it a bit.
jmass

Re: HP boxcars

Postby j p » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:54 pm

It says that the video is private :(
Login to youtube does not help.
j p

Postby jmass » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:30 pm

Ok, just hit the publish setting. should work now. heres one with the SW switcher.
jmass

Postby gerhard_k » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:36 am

jmass wrote:A couple of boxcars I just finished building. all but the add ons that is. butchered the hell out of the bottom of the paper sides but hope a coat of clear coat might dull it a bit.

It's always nice to see anything new built in TT :clap: but the resolution on youtube is really unsatisfactory, can't even tell the roadnames. Any decent still photos?
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby jmass » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:31 pm

002.jpg
002.jpg
As you can see, I kinda destroyed the bottom on the santa fe car.
Attachments
001.jpg
jmass

Postby gerhard_k » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:46 am

The cars look nice, the damage on the SF car side still seems a bit below the resolution of the photo, so it can't be all that bad.

I presume the car sides were pre-printed, what did you use as the basis for the car bodies, and the ends and doors, which are often stumbling blocks? Some of my HP kits have ends and doors pressed out of thick aluminium foil, they look really hard to incorporate smoothly onto a car body - although I admit I haven't actually tried.
gerhard_k

Postby jmass » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:05 pm

Thanks! Much improvement is needed though in technique. The kits come with wooden blocks to stablelize the sides and ends. The doors are printed out on the paper sides but the kit also comes with resin doors and ends.
jmass

Postby gerhard_k » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:49 pm

jmass wrote:Thanks! Much improvement is needed though in technique. The kits come with wooden blocks to stablelize the sides and ends. The doors are printed out on the paper sides but the kit also comes with resin doors and ends.

Resin doors and ends would make me much happier. My one HP boxcar kit has resin sides and pressed metal half-roof covers, which look usable and even good, but the pressed aluminium doors and ends give me pause. After all these decades, the kit boxes seem to have quite variable contents.

Maybe I should go through my small collection and high-grade the contents, I might wind up with a few complete sets of usable components... :whistle:
gerhard_k

Return to Photos / Videos