HP 4-6-2 project

Re: HP 4-6-2 project

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:28 pm

dileTTante,

Out of curiosity, how has your 4-6-2 project worked out in the medium-term?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby dileTTante » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:22 pm

Thanks for asking.

The locomotive seized up at our exhibit in August because the crank arm on the driver actuating the valve gear worked loose and the rods jammed.

At the next exhibit the loco didn't run at all because the decoder had burned out. During repairs a wire to the clips which I put on the motor brushes broke off. I soldered the wires to the brush springs and made a plug and socket for easier disconnect from the tender. All this work pretty much ruined the paint job and I have to re-do that.

At the show in October the loco ran with a new decoder but didn't like the curves on the layout and didn't like some of the turnouts.

I don't know how others manage with these HP locomotives. The middle drivers have no flanges, so the loco can handle curves. My theory is that the wheel base between the flanges on the front and rear drivers is too long for sharp curves. And/or the flanges do not have a good contour for curves.

I had similar problems with the HP diesel. The middle wheels of the trucks have no flanges but the overall wheel base of the truck is long and when running at a show one set of wheels worked out of gauge from negotiating the curves. Also the sharp curves make the motor gear rub against the body.

I bought these HP locomotives to have N. American alternatives to the SW1200s at train shows. The 4-6-2 has good proportions, looks good at the shows and gets favourable response. But it hasn't given a good return for all the time and money spent. When I get some enthusiasm for the job, the loco will have to come apart for repainting. The locomotive runs fine on DCC.

As an aside, it's not only the HP locos fighting the curves. My Roco BR44 with five driver axles had the pins for the connecting rods work out of the wheels after sustained running, and it seized up. The axles have lateral play to take the curves but the side to side movement pulled out the rods from the wheels. I no longer run the German goods locos, all of them having five sets of drivers. Fortunately Bill Dixon is sympathetic and has been trying to make TTTracks modules with larger curves. Probably it's simpler just to run only the models that work.

-Terry C
dileTTante

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:23 pm

dileTTante wrote:Thanks for asking.

The locomotive seized up at our exhibit in August because the crank arm on the driver actuating the valve gear worked loose and the rods jammed.

At the next exhibit the loco didn't run at all because the decoder had burned out. During repairs a wire to the clips which I put on the motor brushes broke off. I soldered the wires to the brush springs and made a plug and socket for easier disconnect from the tender. All this work pretty much ruined the paint job and I have to re-do that.

At the show in October the loco ran with a new decoder but didn't like the curves on the layout and didn't like some of the turnouts.

I don't know how others manage with these HP locomotives. The middle drivers have no flanges, so the loco can handle curves. My theory is that the wheel base between the flanges on the front and rear drivers is too long for sharp curves. And/or the flanges do not have a good contour for curves.

I had similar problems with the HP diesel. The middle wheels of the trucks have no flanges but the overall wheel base of the truck is long and when running at a show one set of wheels worked out of gauge from negotiating the curves. Also the sharp curves make the motor gear rub against the body.

I bought these HP locomotives to have N. American alternatives to the SW1200s at train shows. The 4-6-2 has good proportions, looks good at the shows and gets favourable response. But it hasn't given a good return for all the time and money spent. When I get some enthusiasm for the job, the loco will have to come apart for repainting. The locomotive runs fine on DCC.

As an aside, it's not only the HP locos fighting the curves. My Roco BR44 with five driver axles had the pins for the connecting rods work out of the wheels after sustained running, and it seized up. The axles have lateral play to take the curves but the side to side movement pulled out the rods from the wheels. I no longer run the German goods locos, all of them having five sets of drivers. Fortunately Bill Dixon is sympathetic and has been trying to make TTTracks modules with larger curves. Probably it's simpler just to run only the models that work.

-Terry C

Strange, all of my HP diesels have flanges on all axles. I have had few issues asides from having to replace the wire connecting the front and rear trucks, and the paint job, my primary HP E-7 has required very little work.

I would agree that with tighter curves, that it is a good idea to run only the models that can handle them easily, to avoid problems.

For me, this is all another reason for my impending shift to Keuhn tracks versus Tillig Advanced track: the smallest radii for Keuhn is wider than Tillig, so less temptation to try to make as much fit into a small space such that everything can handle it.

Of course, I will keep my 3' x 4' module with the Tillig Bedding track, as most everything I have runs nicely on it, in particular my HP 2-8-0s and 0-6-0s, as well as my Tri-Ang British TT trains as well, with notable exception of my Rokal equipment, but that is for another topic.

I feel bad for all the hard work that was poured into the 4-6-2 project, if there is anything I can do for help/advice, I will do so to the best of my ability.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Previous

Return to Prototypes / Models