HP 4-6-2 project

Re: HP 4-6-2 project

Postby dileTTante » Thu May 25, 2017 12:28 am

ConducTTor wrote:the joy is in the doing.
Not much joy in this. Mostly stubborn effort. I just want a N. American steam locomotive to run at train shows.
areibel wrote:Another hint I just thought of is to paint the inside of the boiler with clear nail polish or line it with black electrical tape.
I did that when trying to eliminate the possible short circuit. I painted the boiler near the brush holders and painted parts of the brush holders, too. I used nail polish before to insulate the tender weights in a couple of Roco TT locomotives which had very very tight accommodations for decoders. I also used nail polish years ago as acid resist for making simple traces on printed circuit boards.

Actually, electrical insulation was pretty well arranged by HP Products. If the locos were plagued by short circuits would they have sold at all? I figured if it ran okay on DC it should run on DCC, which led me to swap decoders.

And thanks for the encouraging comments.

- Terry C
dileTTante

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu May 25, 2017 5:16 pm

Terry,

My son Terry and I are about to start restoring a HP 4-6-2, and we are both thinking of making it up as a modified Southern Ps-4, as we both love the Southern Railway, and neither of us are strict rivet counters.

So my advice is to go with whatever roadname makes you happy.

-James
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Graandpa » Thu May 25, 2017 6:06 pm

For DCC, the motor MUST be isolated from the frame. That includes the mounting screw. Suggestion (I have not done this yet): find styrene tube that fits snugly over the screw. If none is snug, ream the next smaller to just clear the screw. Enlarge the hole in the frame to accept the tube. Avoid moving the centerline of the hole. That could​ affect gear mesh. Glue (CA) a piece of the tube in the enlarged hole. When dry, trim the tube to both surfaces of the frame. Line the depressions on top and bottom of the frame with .005 or .010 styrene secured with CA. This should isolate the screw as well as the motor.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Graandpa

Postby Graandpa » Thu May 25, 2017 6:14 pm

With regard to the fiber link, the late Mr. TT, Larry Sayre, suggested making it and any other insulating valve gear parts from the plastic laminate used to cover kitchen counters​. One or two samples from your local hardware supplier should provide a lifetime supply.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Graandpa

Postby dileTTante » Fri May 26, 2017 7:10 pm

AstroGoat760 wrote:So my advice is to go with whatever roadname makes you happy.

-James
Thanks. That's what I concluded after downloading a lot of photos of 4-6-2s, both prototypes and models. But probably I'll make it Soo. Details are roughly right. And they ran passenger service to Winnipeg.

Graandpa wrote:For DCC, the motor MUST be isolated from the frame.

This is not necessary. Just isolate the motor brushes and connect them to the decoder outputs. Instead of isolating the motor from the locomotive, I disconnected the motor brush from the motor frame.

With the brush disconnected from the motor frame, I used the motor frame as a convenient point for connecting track power from the locomotive to the power input of the decoder.

Graandpa wrote:With regard to the fiber link, the late Mr. TT, Larry Sayre, suggested making it and any other insulating valve gear parts from the plastic laminate used to cover kitchen counters​.
That's an interesting idea. Thanks. My first try would be fiberglass printed circuit board.

- Terry C.
Attachments
Soo_2007 September 09 120.jpg
dileTTante

Postby dileTTante » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:49 am

Getting ready to paint. To make the locomotive look a little bit more like the Soo in the photos I've downloaded I made pipes to the sand dome and the bell is moved from front to top of boiler. Nothing glued in place yet. I made these photos just to show a friend what I was doing. The original bracket for the bell was a cotter pin stuck through the top from inside and bent around. I made one out of bits of wire.

After stripping the paint I cleaned the brass with Brasso first to get off the oxidation. Maybe the paint will stick better. First to be painted are the small bits stuck to the styrofoam in the background.

-Terry C
Attachments
DSC04226R.JPG
DSC04227R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:29 pm

It's starting to look pretty good with details being added :)
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby D Martin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:37 pm

Hello, B:
I have an HP loco of the type you have pictured. I will look for my pictures and try to post them tomorrow. It is wheel arrangement 4-6-0, often called a ten-wheeler. I believe this was the last loco HP introduced, and is not often found.

Dennis M, in W. Tennessee
D Martin

Postby D Martin » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:16 pm

For Bernd regarding your engine all in pieces; it is an HP 4-6-0 or "ten-wheeler". I have one and can post pictures of it , maybe tomorrow. It is late and I am getting sleepy right now!

Dennis M. in West Tenn.
D Martin

Postby Bernd » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:15 am

D Martin wrote:For Bernd regarding your engine all in pieces; it is an HP 4-6-0 or "ten-wheeler". I have one and can post pictures of it , maybe tomorrow. It is late and I am getting sleepy right now!

Dennis M. in West Tenn.

Yes I know. Thanks for the info though.

Some pictures would be nice. May motivate me to do something with mine.

I have a 2-6-0 or 2-6-2 in mind. I have driving wheel sets for it. Been researching how to build a frame from lurking on a British forum, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/. Project will have to wait till cooler weather prevails. Also have several HO scale projects in progress. Kind of pushes the TT scale projects to the back of the stove.

Bernd
Bernd

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models