How young is too young for a TT layout?

How young is too young for a TT layout?

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:50 pm

TTerry177 has been helping me tinker with our collective TT fleet quite a bit lately, and he has been asking for his own layout to have in his room.

I am thinking a simple layout, perhaps made with Bedding track, with an oval and a siding or two.

He wants his MTB SW1200 SOO 1216 to run on his layout, so I will let him have it, with out the handrails, for his layout. He will not get to run the bulk of the fleet for some time, but we will make some cars for his layout, just for him.

I would appreciate any input on this, we have tried to convince him to go with an O-27 layout, but he has made his insistence that his first actual layout be TT.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: How young is too young for a TT layout?

Postby CN-TT » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:50 pm

Sure, why not? He can learn how to carefully handle his stuff and can learn some usefull skills while landscaping his layout!
Go for it!!!
You gotta do much more than believe if you really wanna change things!

"The GuiTTar Case" Gallery
"The GuiTTar Case" YouTube
CN-TT

Postby railtwister » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:35 pm

How old is he? Most train set boxes have a disclaimer for age 8 and above, but what this really means is that the younger ones may need some supervision (parental involvement & support) which is a good thing at any age.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:26 pm

No such thing as too young. Get him a bunch of bedding track, a few cheap models and let him have fun.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:08 pm

railtwister wrote:How old is he? Most train set boxes have a disclaimer for age 8 and above, but what this really means is that the younger ones may need some supervision (parental involvement & support) which is a good thing at any age.

Bill in FtL

TTerry is 8, will be 9 in a couple of months. He has literally been handling trains since the day he was born, and there are a few photos here of him handling TT trains over the years, so I think he will do just fine with his own layout. I wasn't much older when I got my first train layout, albeit an HO scale layout. Unfortunately, I do not have much from my first layout left, primarily as my dad up and tossed a lot of my stuff when I joined the US Navy.
AstroGoat760

Postby Richard-B » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:26 am

AngrySailor302 wrote: He wants his MTB SW1200 SOO 1216 to run on his layout, so I will let him have it
I think this is quite sensible...
the MTB engines are like bricks, so anything short of a hard landing on a tile floor should be survivable.

Some parents at the NTS were shocked that I was handing the sans-handrail SW-1200 to any kid who was interested in it... If seeing is worth a thousand words... then holding it in your hand is worth a million.

Rationale: I'm planning to need buyers for my estate sale in 30 years or so...
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:27 am

Richard-B wrote:
AngrySailor302 wrote: He wants his MTB SW1200 SOO 1216 to run on his layout, so I will let him have it
I think this is quite sensible...
the MTB engines are like bricks, so anything short of a hard landing on a tile floor should be survivable.[/i]

I plan on having a lip on the table to keep derailments from becoming floored.
AstroGoat760

Postby tomvanhoy » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:16 am

Got my first train set at 7 and quickly realized that going around in a small oval was boring. It was more fun to take the track apart and rebuild as new ideas came along. Switches are important! I still have most of that set, although the engine crapped out after 10 years or so. :thumbdown: Good luck!
Tom VH
tomvanhoy

Postby WillYart » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:32 am

My son is 7 and we run our TT loco around the track once every 2-3 days. The layout is on castor wheels under his bed, it just rolls out.
WillYart

Postby TiTan downunder » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:12 am

These latest additions might be JUST a bit too young for grandpa's trains as yet.

Twins.jpg

Grandson number 3 - Henry and granddaughter number 6 - Mia

Haven't had much luck with brainwashing any of them to grandpa's way of thinking about trains as yet. Law of averages you'd think I could get at least one interested. Doesn't help that they are all 4 to 5 hours away.

Ian
TiTan downunder

Next

Return to General Discussion