How young is too young for a TT layout?

Re: How young is too young for a TT layout?

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:45 pm

Congrats! While it seems that they are oblivious right now, the pro train messages you implant now will go a long way in the future 8-)
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:11 pm

TiTan downunder wrote:Haven't had much luck with brainwashing any of them to grandpa's way of thinking about trains as yet. Law of averages you'd think I could get at least one interested. Doesn't help that they are all 4 to 5 hours away.

Ian

I keep hoping- my kids (three boys and a girl) all got a healthy dose of trains when they were little but none showed much interest until lately. My middle son Jim is 22 and recently asked to go to the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society meeting we had here in my hometown in Sept.. I was shocked, but I'm hoping the hook is set!

3/4ths of them, back in the day! John (the footballer), Leah (the complainer) and Jim (the soon to be geologist/railfan?)
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:30 pm

Leah needs to get in on all this. We all complain a lot around here :lol:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CFRiad » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:11 am

There is no such thing as too young.

I got my first Zeuke TT starter set when I was 4. I still have a few bits of it. I loved it and made me choose my career and my hobby later. My son played with the train set since he could walk. We never had a permanent layout. At the beginning the train was brought out an set out on the dinner table by a leprechaun as a "reward" for being a good boy. Later on he learned how to set it out himself. He is 25 now and he still calls it "the leprechaun's train". He was convinced that leprechauns are small and they are TT scale.

I wish I learned earlier how to take care of the models: how to clean and lube the locos, how to store them and so on. Also I wish I gave my son his train set. I did not and he chose Lego. The 18 inch pirate ship took the cake.
CFRiad

Postby WillYart » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:03 pm

CFRiad wrote:There is no such thing as too young.

I got my first Zeuke TT starter set when I was 4. I still have a few bits of it. I loved it and made me choose my career and my hobby later. My son played with the train set since he could walk. We never had a permanent layout. At the beginning the train was brought out an set out on the dinner table by a leprechaun as a "reward" for being a good boy. Later on he learned how to set it out himself. He is 25 now and he still calls it "the leprechaun's train". He was convinced that leprechauns are small and they are TT scale.

I wish I learned earlier how to take care of the models: how to clean and lube the locos, how to store them and so on. Also I wish I gave my son his train set. I did not and he chose Lego. The 18 inch pirate ship took the cake.

That's a wonderful story. I think no age is too young. And it's great to give them a sense of ownership too, i.e. build the lay out and call it "his" / "her" train, whenever you buy stuff for the layout it's THEIR stuff, let them make some decisions.
WillYart

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:07 pm

For now, we are shelving the idea of giving Terry his own TT layout, as he has proven destructive to a HO scale train set that we gave him to care for.

Maybe in a few years he will be mature enough to get his own TT layout...
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Previous

Return to General Discussion