How to remove a dampflok waddle

How to remove a dampflok waddle

Postby Rich1853 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:24 pm

Hello, one of my recent purchases of dampfloks from German ebay is a Zeuke BR92. As received it didn't run and had a lot of linen type fibers in all the linkage pivots and axel area. Since this my first time examining a dampflok the first thing I notice was all the electrical contact wipers were not in it's proper locations which is behind all eight wheels. With my weak right hand and arm it took me about 3 hours to assembled and cleaned also one of the gears on the second axel is broken but slipping on the axel. I had it running also like I did with all my previous used locomotives I ran it partially submerged in denatured alcohol (less shell) and a stiff brush, blow dry and lube and oiled. It runs faster than my BR203 and V100 diesels.
But it has a wobble. The axel slots might be worn.
Please look at the video and what do you think, any remedies for repair.

Video didn't download
Symptoms includes movement when stationary upside down in a vice with finger pressure; like a X, i.e. one side goes up, the other side goes down. Same in the other plane, i.e. forward and aft.
I also have some BR81 to look at too.
Rich1853
Greetings from Melbourne, Florida USA
On the Space Coast of Florida
Rich1853

Re: How to remove a dampflok waddle

Postby Rich1853 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:03 pm

Rich1853
Rich1853

Postby krokodil » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:12 pm

Hi Rich

That is normal what you show on the stacionary mechanizm. I am worrying rather for the running performace. There generally two issues.
1. The wheel gears are not in correct position to the coupling rods. ( this is always a biggest dilemma of such constructions). The wheels with the gears are exactly positioned by the worm, but the coupling rods and the pins are not in exact position. ( quartering is not perfect. In this kind of drive not just the quartering is important, but also the tooth position of the wheel gear)
If something is incorrect you get a wobbling when the machine moves. This is already a newer construction, ie you can basically remove the complete valve gear and try the loco without the coupling rods. If it is wobling, than
2. The wheels gears or the wheel bearings are already worn out. You can try it step by step, remowing two axles and do the test run and you will probably find the worn out wheel or the bearing.
I do not know if you can get a new wheel, try it. If the bearing is worn out you can glue thin brass U pieces into the plastic bearing house and reduce the wobbling ( I used 0.2 mm brass sheet, cut a cca 2 mm wide strip and bend it over a 1.6 mm drill ( depend how hard is the brass) and glue it into the frame, take care that the axle is not very tight in the bearing. After that file the frame flat for the final shape.

Hearing your experience, your model is one of the latest as the last TT motors had increased speed. There is not much to do. Maximum you can add in series 1-2 pair of antiparallel diodes, to reduce the voltage on the motor.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby Rich1853 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:33 pm

Here is the video of the waddle and the top speed at a hair above 14VDC
Please excuse the mess as these are most of my purchases while I was on the 3 week vacation, still opening them, and for not editing them as my thumb strength is very weak and couldn't engage the pause button on my cell phone.

https://youtu.be/F8VLvu0rrns
Rich1853
Rich1853

Postby krokodil » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:29 pm

There is definitively something wrong. Remove the wheels and try to find the better position when assembling. Probably just one wheel is installed in wrong way, the gear tooth is in wrong position in the worm. Probably you just need to insert one tooth forward or backward. When the wheels are in correct position ( upside down the coverplate is not installed yet, the coupling rods on both sides should have some play ( cca 0.5 mm). Check it by hand or tweezer - they should move in horizontal direction few tenth od millimeter. If this is not the case you have to turn at least one wheel by one tooth on the gear ( lift the wheel turn a bit and place back into the frame). It is a game but finally you will find the correct position in the worm related to the side rods.
The another problem could be that the gear on one of the wheels is broken and it falls out from the worm thread.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby Rich1853 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:38 pm

As mention before the gear on axel 2 is broken and slipping on the shaft. I removed it, no change in the wobbleness.
The next used dampflok I worked on is one of BR 81 that I purchased. It's symptoms were slow erratic motion. I ran it submerge in denatured alcohol and cleaned and dried it. I removed the floor plate to oiled the gears and where the axles past thru the chassis, also the motor bushings and the front gear housing.
Runs great and quite, no wobble. The axel chassis interface has no slop like the BR 92.
My next challenge is a Tillig BR 86 article 02245.
It's symptoms in the foward direction are noisey like the gears aren't meshing, going very slow while you could hear the gears whinning, sometime it stops. Going in reverse it is fine.
How to remove the two drop arms of the leading and trailing wheels to get to the floor removal screws.
Transfer to a new post.
Rich1853
Rich1853

Return to General Discussion