How Much Are You Willing to Pay?

How Much Are You Willing to Pay?

Postby CSD » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:28 am

There has been a lot of talk (and some action) about kit and RTR models for North American TT scale. The reality of the situation for our small market is that the production of an RTR locomotive (or something close to) would have an inflated cost. In looking at production prices and comparison to European small productions, the cost of a quality American prototype diesel would be from $300 to $400 and a steam locomotive could be upwards of $500. So, who would buy one? Please keep in mind this is a loaded question.
Mark
//S
CSD

Re: How Much Are You Willing to Pay?

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:51 am

Loaded indeed. I'll give you a vague answer: depends on the quality.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:15 am

ConducTTor wrote:Loaded indeed. I'll give you a vague answer: depends on the quality.

I can be more specific. Lets say a Bull Ant mechanism with mold injected plastic or high quality cast resin parts, LED lighting, minimum separately applied details (mostly molded on), and even paint finish. So, probably a little less quality than a middle of the road HO model.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:39 am

I would probably do $300 max (I have no interest in steam except maybe the Big Boy which I imagine would have an astronomical cost). Maaaayyyyyyybe a bit more.

Off topic - all of a sudden everyone wants to make US models. Start of a revoluTTion perhaps?
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:10 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Off topic - all of a sudden everyone wants to make US models. Start of a revoluTTion perhaps?

There have been a number of such periods in the past where a number of TT projects emerged at once and none came to fruition. In fact on the Atlas and Trainboard forums they regard the annoucement of TT projects as heralding silly season, so let's never be too optimistic.

I'd rather content myself with a smug sneer when we do have something concrete to display.

As for high quality US models, I guess I don't need 'em since my prototype is Australian. I make common cause with you all in search of EMD fans, good trucks, roofwalks, brakewheels and the like. BTTB and Tillig chassis will meet my needs. If one day someone was to make a low hood Susquehanna GP18 or RS1 (or even an unpainted one), I'd buy that, since I have always liked the Susie-Q and those models of locomotive.

Ben
scaro

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:41 pm

How much are the new Tillig switchers? Around $200 US I guess? If they made just one good US prototype instead of another european diesel they could sell at lot at their price. A GP9 or SW1200 would be a good first loco as they had a long useful time period. . ....dave
ctxmf74

Postby BTTB Fan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:30 pm

I would also not be comfortable going above $300 mark. As Dave just pointed out, the majority of Diesels and Electrics by Tillig and Roco cost well under $200, and Kuehn manages to get them out for 30-50% less than that. I understand that the production volumes are not the same, but still...
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby areibel » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:26 pm

The RevoluTTion- I like it!

I think $200 to $250 is entirely possible for a quality resin shell-ed TT diesel (we won't even talk about injection molding - yet!)
I spent around $350 for my Tillig FP9 (with shipping), if Tillig (or Roco, etc) were to do something new I'd probably get that crazy again. The sad part is they don't sell nearly as well at that price. Look at the Tillig set of Boxcars. A Gold Coast 40' boxcar costs around $30, I've bought a couple of beautiful 50' boxcars from Sip Hartman (he has them made in the Czech Republic), they cost around $50 each with shipping. But the set of three Tillig cars came out to almost $100 each- I had to pass :thumbdown:
areibel

Postby richardedmonds » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:08 pm

To be brutally honest I probably would pay whatever for the right thing but only in TT. If somebody came up a half decent Norfolk and Western Y6B I would probably get a mortgage if needs be. My trouble is the simple fact that any other scale does not do it for me the way TT does and because of this I am a slave to the cost.
richardedmonds

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:33 pm

HAHA! I like the above two replies. Apparently I'm not the only nutt. I HAD to get the FP7 at the "sale" price of $300.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion