How Much Are You Willing to Pay?

Re: How Much Are You Willing to Pay?

Postby CSD » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:21 pm

I agree. Keep in mind that this was an exploration regarding a completed model with drive, paint, etc. Also, profit was not a factor, rather it was the idea of someone enjoying something I made and the idea of "if someone is going to do it why not me". But, the cheapest quote I was able to get for a run of a single component of the project (50 pcs.) in mold injected plastic was 1458 USD. Each mechanism had a cost of about 164 USD. Some manufacturers had a better per unit price, but expected a run of 1000 or more. Unfortunately cost became the biggest factor in making a model to compare with mass produced quality. What I really needed was to get some feedback on was weather or not a small production RTR model could squeeze into a cost that people would accept. So the answer is yes, but there just isn't enough of us. In the mean time I'll continue my drawings (3D modeling is fun!... Sort of). Here is a small taste. I wanted to do the C424, but the GP9 is easier to draw. Perhaps I will follow ConducTTor's lead and look into making just an RP shell and side frames.
GP9-1.png
GP9-2.png
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:36 pm

CSD wrote: Also, profit was not a factor, rather it was the idea of someone enjoying something I made and the idea of "if someone is going to do it why not me". Unfortunately cost became the biggest factor in making a model to compare with mass produced quality.

I hear you. That right there is the biggest problem with something like a RTR loco. You have to invest so much into it up front that there is simply no choice but to try and sell it at an ungodly price just so you don't go broke. That's what ultimately led to me towards trying to do something with a wagon - I don't have to get a second job just to cover the cost of a prototype.

However, these types of attempts (successful or not) are what's needed in order to get something going.

Rome wasn't built in a day.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby richardedmonds » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:19 am

ConducTTor with your rapid prototyping experience with the gondola any idea what a ballpark figure cost for CSD's drawing might be. I am greatly encouraged by what some of you guys are doing and although there are setbacks I do think as a whole that TT is moving forward albeit at snail pace. The sheer fact that members are trying to get things made up surely is the main point here, I do think it is great to see this involvement and we all benefit from it eventually. My old pal John Fisher had a policy of buying anthing that anybody made in TT purely to suport their endeavour and I think most of us in this group are the same.
richardedmonds

Postby areibel » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:50 am

CSD, You have me thinking.
I like your GP drawing, like Richard I'd really like a better version of the GP7/9 from Lionel. The Lionel's aren't too bad but they have a couple small problems- the doors louvers aren't that good (pretty bad, acually), the cab is really goofy and the fan "panel" closest to the cab is in the wrong place (because the cab is too long).
But! if we could have a door made with nice louvers on it as a replacement piece (like Cannon and Co in HO), and the cab could be made as a one piece replacement we'd have a start. It wouldn't be a simple thing, you'd have do drill and cut or mill to remove the metal parts on the Lionel shell, then add in the new doors and cab in.
It might not be as nice as an all new shell, but it would be a cost efffective way of doing it for now. And the Lionel metal shells can have some metal removed where the trucks swivel to allow a tighter turning radius. A plastic or resin shell can't be thinned too much or you lose strength.
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:23 pm

richardedmonds wrote:ConducTTor with your rapid prototyping experience with the gondola any idea what a ballpark figure cost for CSD's drawing might be.

Not a clue. It's always a bit of a "ok, here we go...what's it gonna be?" I've decided to do three wagons and then a loco shell so one and a half wagons to go.....
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:08 pm

areibel wrote:I like your GP drawing...

Thanks!

As for the rest, I'll look into it. This is the plan I'm going with (for now). I want to make a super basic body with a couple of detailed parts for now just to get a feel for what can be done and to get rough price on the go for the shell and side frames. Based on the tolerances in the machining process and ConduTTor's experience the railings, lifting hooks and other small details are to fine. Etched brass would be my preference. I've been eyeballing a kit for some time, but haven't really been motivated to buy it. The problem is that if any one of the steps in this project is too much work or too expensive, I won't go on to the next. Stupid money! Some good news, there is a BR218 START that might be just the thing for the mechanism ($90), but I won't buy one until the rest adds up. I'll have to see about getting one of the Lionel's to check it out, maybe.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby CSD » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:02 pm

Good news! Rough estimate of the shell cost is $50 (not including bogie side frames). I think I can shave it down a little more with some fine tuning.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:17 pm

CSD wrote:Good news! Rough estimate of the shell cost is $50 (not including bogie side frames). I think I can shave it down a little more with some fine tuning.

NICE!!!!!
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby BTTB Fan » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:06 pm

On the mechanism side, If BR218 START fits the bill, I would expect that it may be possible to order the mechanism in bulk, without the shell, for $20-$30 cheaper than $90 retail price.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:22 pm

I'll tell you what, $50 for a shell and $70 for a mech is not a bad deal by any stretch. Me like.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion