How Much Are You Willing to Pay?

Re: How Much Are You Willing to Pay?

Postby ctxmf74 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:54 pm

Interesting that as we are discussing how much we are willing to pay I notice GoldCoast has raised the price of their cars to $38 on ebay. That seems to be going the wrong way to attract more TT modelers? Maybe the Europeans can afford that price but few USA modelers will pay $38 for one TT scale car when they can buy three very nice HO cars for the same price? ...dave
ctxmf74

Postby Arseny » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:08 pm

Bad news. I decided to buy some American wagons ..and discovered new price. :(

But I still ordered them.
Arseny

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:35 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:Interesting that as we are discussing how much we are willing to pay I notice GoldCoast has raised the price of their cars to $38 on ebay. That seems to be going the wrong way to attract more TT modelers? Maybe the Europeans can afford that price but few USA modelers will pay $38 for one TT scale car when they can buy three very nice HO cars for the same price? ...dave

Unfortunately this is the nature of the beast when it comes to niche scales. If Gold Coast was able to sell a lot more cars, they would be able to take advantage of Economy of Scale (spreading the cost of tooling and such over more units sold). Look at the literal explosion of different products over the course of the year. Even the making of different paint jobs costs a lot of money.

I have not seen that many good HO scale cars for $10-15, most good quality HO cars run from about $18-30, with kits being at the lower end of the spectrum. If you do not want to pay $38 for a new TT scale car, but do not want to scratch build, the kits that Gold Coast sells are a good idea. Could it be that eBay has raised it's fees again, is part of why the cost on eBay is higher?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby CSD » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:13 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:Unfortunately this is the nature of the beast when it comes to niche scales...

Hear, hear, well said! I was looking (and will most likely buy... later) at some CSD passenger car kits in brass. These kits are at a cost of about $80 and do not come with wheels or an interior. The truth of the matter is that it is a niche market and unless you are willing to stick with mass produced items you are going to pay. It is not fair to compare a small series production with what companies like Roco, Tillig and even Keuhn can do. There is a difference between European and North American TT modelers; European niche enthusiasts seem to be willing to fork over a bit more money where as N. Americans are a bit... cheap? Now, I didn't start this topic to be a sh!t. Encouraged by Conduttors progress I honestly thought that I may be able to forward something and why not shoot for the stars with a completed model! However, the production costs are astronomical for a model for which it looks like only 10 would be sold. At even $300 apiece the $3000 dollars wouldn't even be enough to cover the development much less the production. To say I was immediately discouraged by the costs would be an understatement. Hand it to Gold Coast, Norkin, and the other small producers for being able to keep their prices as low as they are. I can't do it, so I'm out. Sorry.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:49 pm

CSD wrote:However, the production costs are astronomical for a model for which it looks like only 10 would be sold. At even $300 apiece the $3000 dollars wouldn't even be enough to cover the development much less the production. To say I was immediately discouraged by the costs would be an understatement. ........... I can't do it, so I'm out. Sorry.

You could have just asked. I went through this a year ago :)
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:24 pm

does anybody think sometimes we go overboard here regarding costs. I know in Europe we are used to paying high prices for everything but that said even in the 3mm society you can still buy a really good wagon kit for a fiver £5.00 sterling. Of course you can spend £100.00 as well. Also Conductor is getting on very well with a good priced kit . It is possible to have good things at reasonable cost. But to do this we have to act as a bunch of pals and all contribute whatever we can for free. If we are sucessful then profits would come but at this time I think we are a small happy band of enthusiasts as opposed to entrepreneurs. Pattern making and casting can be relativly cheap as well so it can be done.
richardedmonds

Postby areibel » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:40 pm

CSD wrote: European niche enthusiasts seem to be willing to fork over a bit more money where as N. Americans are a bit... cheap?

Well, I'd say that actually true, to a point!
There are a lot of guys in TT that have been in it for many years. In the 70's and early 80's it wasn't yet a "collector's scale", so you could pick up a lot of TT cheap. They have pretty much all they want or need, so anything new is just gravy. But then along came Ebay! It's funny, anyone starting in US TT now seems to do the same thing- plunge in with the checkbook blazing on Ebay. I've watched probably 8-10 guys do the same thing over the last 10 years, spend stupid amounts of money on some real junk!
And a few of the old timers really complained about it- I can remember one (now deceased) guy ranting that he could build cars out of cardboard from Cheerios boxes before he'd spend $10 on an HP kit on Ebay! I guess since the HP catalog from 1957 he has said a kit cost $2.55 they should still sell for that?
But there is a big middle group. The ones that want TT to be viable, to get some reasonably priced new stuff out there. Pricewise everything in model railroading has changed. HO is a good comparison. You can still find Blue Box Athearn products out there, but you can't buy a new locomotive for $25. Try anywhere from four to ten times that! Rolling stock too, the nicest stuff from Tangent/ Exactrail/ intermountain is going to cost you as much or more than a Gold Coast car and they're making a lot more of them!
I think we're on the right track. We can start turning out some stuff that will be more modern, reasonably priced and runs well, then we'll start to get some attention. And there are still a lot of guys that like to build models, with HO getting more and more RTR (and costly) I think we can find a few recruits there. We just have to have more than some 60 year old cranky steam locomotives and card stock kits to do it!
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:44 pm

richardedmonds wrote:does anybody think sometimes we go overboard here regarding costs. I know in Europe we are used to paying high prices for everything but that said even in the 3mm society you can still buy a really good wagon kit for a fiver £5.00 sterling. Of course you can spend £100.00 as well. Also Conductor is getting on very well with a good priced kit . It is possible to have good things at reasonable cost. But to do this we have to act as a bunch of pals and all contribute whatever we can for free. If we are sucessful then profits would come but at this time I think we are a small happy band of enthusiasts as opposed to entrepreneurs. Pattern making and casting can be relativly cheap as well so it can be done.

Uh huh. See my post regarding "I wonder why no one has done this before" in the gondola thread. There aren't enough of us to make a large production run of anything possible so prices get jacked up big time. As I've mentioned (in that same thread) if I were looking to make any kind of money off of my projects, the price would have to be hiked so much that no one would buy.

The lesson here is that there aren't enough of us to make money off of. So we have two choices - do nothing or, do something with the understanding that there is no money in it. Yet. If enough of us take the selfish route, in a few years there will be enough products that we can start pulling new people into the scale. Only then, (when there are more potential customers) will it make sense for someone to try and turn a profit.

If, and until that happens, we're just castaways. So individuals can learn how to make fire but if we want better for the community, we have to give fire to the others as well.

And remember, without the community, delete this and all other TT sites from your browsers, sell your running stock and buy some HOes. - pun intended :grin:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:33 pm

ConducTTor wrote:And remember, without the community, delete this and all other TT sites from your browsers, sell your running stock and buy some HOes. - pun intended :grin:

Well, if your new gon is going to be about $25-26, I'll buy that. I wouldn't want to see the HOe that cost that much!
:shock:
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:13 pm

HAHA!!!!
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion