How Much Are You Willing to Pay?

Re: How Much Are You Willing to Pay?

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:57 pm

The most I have spent so far for any TT scale engine has been around $250, most around the $100-150 mark.

How much I am willing to spend hinges on: how much the item is, how much do I want the item, and how much I have to spend.

In order to keep the over all costs down, I try to do as much as I can myself, besides that, I love scratch building.

At this point, I am not sure if I would go out of my way to get a non-vintage RTR TT scale North American proto engine, but if the right proto is dangled in front of my nose, I would probably jump at it.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Marquette » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:10 pm

Really depends entirely on what it is. As much as I'd like to help every project out, my means are quite limited - so I have to restrict myself to things I need for my proto or things I *really* like. If it meets those criteria, I'll do what it takes.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:28 pm

scaro wrote:they regard the annoucement of TT projects as heralding silly season

I aim to disappoint.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:25 pm

@ CSD

Ultimately everything depends on the model. If it's the right one, people will spend with (almost) reckless abandon. Hence the tracking of your behavior around the internet by every company who is able to do it. The more they know about you, the more they know what you want. Welcome to product development :)
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:21 am

There are a few locomotives that I would have a hard time turning down, in particular a model of a Reading T-1 4-8-4 (Used on the American Freedom Train of the 1970's and in the Chessie Steam Special.)

It is nice to see a wider upswing in TT interest and manufacturing than there has been in many years. Maybe building said 4-8-4 is only a few years away...
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Postby Marquette » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:46 pm

I think with steamers, any USRA design will get US-proto-fans putting good money out, since they were very widespread.

I`d probably break my bank and someone else's though if someone produced this as a kit or RTR:

Marquette

Postby richardedmonds » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:20 pm

Exactly Marquette although I am interested in diesels as well when you see a big kettle like this the old blood starts to boil doesn't it.
richardedmonds

Postby Marquette » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:09 am

richardedmonds wrote:Exactly Marquette although I am interested in diesels as well when you see a big kettle like this the old blood starts to boil doesn't it.

Well, sometimes, for me - a PM Berkshire like this one, or a CP Selkirk, and streamliners of all sorts. In more general terms, electrics get me really going, be it a Little Joe or a GG1 or a GN W-1, I love electrics.

Yet I model a non-electrified road, steam and diesel. :P
Marquette

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:46 am

I like the GG1 also, I was looking at powering the lionel one a while ago, one glaring fault with the thing is the wheel size on the model. I got two bullants with more or less the right wheel diameter only to find there is not enough room to swing the truck except on scale size track curves. It was only a glancing look but I might get back to it later. I was looking at some very gangly looking N&W electrics as well recently, really weird looking things but with some sort of interesting elegance with massive side rods. There is a lot of stuff out there to play with
richardedmonds

Postby CSD » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:52 am

... ALCO C424...
Mark
//S
CSD

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion