Here I go again.....

Re: Here I go again.....

Postby MacG » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:11 pm

How about two flying junctions at the way from and to the staging yard? It's a nice detail.

I agree with jp there are no run through track at the station. At the right side the inner circle ends at the track of the outer circle?!
Attachments
Cond_Layout.PNG
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby j p » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:54 pm

MacG wrote:How about two flying junctions at the way from and to the staging yard? It's a nice detail.

I agree with jp there are no run through track at the station. At the right side the inner circle ends at the track of the outer circle?!

It doesn't help, through tracks need to go straight through all the turnouts on both ends of the station. That way the train can run 80-100 km/h - or in this case 60 km/h because of the curves. If it has to go through a turnout's curve, it has to reduce its speed to 40 km/h (for EW3) or 30 km/h (for EW2)
j p

Postby Juup » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:23 pm

This is interesting information. 40km/h for EW3 and 30km/h for EW2 and 60km/h for curved station track. I guess this is all in the spirit of wanting to be prototypical in our modelling, and then with the knowledge we gain we can compromise with awareness :)

JP, can I ask some questions?

What are these numbers based on? Is it a general rule for real railroads that for curved station track the maximum speed is around 60km/h, for a long turnout 40 and for a short turnout 30?

Or is it a calculation based on radius alone? If so, does that mean the speed limit for curved track of radius 100cm (i.e. the same curve as EW3 turnout) is 40km/h as well?

Or Is the calculation different for turnouts because turnout blades require more caution than simple curved track?

Last question, extending the logic of the speed limits you have provided, what would be the speed limit for a train running through Tillig's 12 degree Wye turnout (the longer one where both directions have a radius of 200cm)?

They say it takes about 10000 hours to become an expert at something. I am clearly not at 10000 hours yet - LOL.

Juup
Juup

Postby Juup » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:47 pm

"No argument from me, I'm sitting down now and I plan to sit more as I get older. My layout is chest high but I figure I'll put bar rails on it and get a higher stool someday."

How about cupholders?

J.
Juup

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:03 pm

"cupholders?"

No need, I just drink out of the bottle..DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:05 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:Yeah, You'd lose some of the wild country, there'd still be some left on the sides and the curves leading to the staging.

I think I would only scenic the right side. The left side would be something very simple only meant to complete the loop.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:23 pm

Juup wrote:I like the backdrop idea, because it gives you the clean scenic run that you wanted. A removable backdrop of some kind is a nice idea, yes. I wonder now whether the height of the layout might be an issue with staging behind the scenic route.

I would likely keep the height relatively low. For some reason I imagine that I'll be sitting down watching the trains go by. That also allows me to have a bird's eye view and getting to the staging would be easy.

Juup wrote:Finally, I would be tempted to add a bit of depth to the scenic section in front of the staging even if that complicated access to the staging further.

Me too.

Juup wrote: Also, an ideal way of hiding the staging would to me be a hillside of some sort (yes would require some more depth) rather than a vertical photo/picture/wall something – a hillside would add scenery to the scenic section.

That's also possible but I can leave it for the future. I'll start with something basic like I currently have just to speed up the construction. Perhaps I'll add a little more depth to allow for future scenery building.

Juup wrote:Will you be running DR or DB, or both? Mostly passenger, freight or both? Our two layouts may not be so different in the end :)

Well, 7 years ago when I got back into the hobby I didn't know the history of German trains and I felt like I missed out because there was so much available in TT. So I went nuts and spent every penny I had on trains. So I have trains from DB IV, DR IV, era V and, a little bit of era VI. The biggest bunch is from era V (my favorite) and that's what the layout will mainly be built for. It's one of the reasons I want a long scenic route - so I can see the ICE traveling at proper speed :)

Each group is dominated by passenger trains.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:24 pm

Juup wrote:One more thought ... making the turnout on the far left of the station area a right turnout (so the turnout is the start of the curve) rather than a left turnout would enable you to increase the curve radius on the top left corner considerably without any loss of station length. Juup

AHA! Good eye! I'll change that.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:32 pm

j p wrote:There is another problem with the station: misalignment of the 'axis'. It does exist on the real railroad, but it is quite rare and it has been removed wherever possible. In case of such a misalignment it is not possible for a train to run through the station at full speed. I have never seen it on a double track line.
In normal situation, the express train would have the possibility to run straight through the turnouts, which means without reducing its speed.

I know :( This bothers me as well. I'll see if there is a way I can fix that.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:34 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:As for the staging being behind the backdrop I generally try to simplify layouts as I find they hold one's interest better if they are trouble free and easy to use. and after years of living with the layout it might turn out that trains sitting there in the yard become more pleasing to look at than some more scenery?......DaveB

The cool thing about the removable backdrop is that I can remove it permanently :) It will be one of the last things I do anyway so maybe by the time I get to it, I won't care for it.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans