Here I go again.....

Re: Here I go again.....

Postby Arseny » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:55 am

ConducTTor, maybe just add some vertical panel on your module, along the red line:

Station 6 p modif.jpg

And put some background photos on it.
Or just build high hllls with tall trees, to divide visually the station and the tracks on the front side.

If you look on the layout from one side you'll see a "parade route", somewhere in the country, outside of town.
And if you look from the other side you'll see a station, town, etc etc.

For example, if you have the "Modelling the 50's" book from Kalmbach
( http://www.kalmbachstore.com/12456.html )
- look at Chapter 2, Southern Pacific in Los Angeles layout, Arroyo section:

plan17_eng.jpg

- they have a station and a town on the layout.

And look at it from the left side:

2-17.jpg

- looks like the line somewhere in desert, isn't it ?
Arseny

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:01 am

Arseny, my current design has both the station and the "parade route". I'm trying to see if I can properly make both with an around the wall setup where the location of a door and windows is not known. Because around the wall setup also requires staging also.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:06 am

If so, just provide some transitional module (or two) without a lot of buildings or tracks - just some straight rails and desert or fields. You'll put it under the window. But do not build it until you know the location of windows exactly...
Arseny

Postby ctxmf74 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:58 pm

"I'm trying to see if I can properly make both with an around the wall setup where the location of a door and windows is not known"
The great thing about modular is you don't need to know what a future room will look like as everything can be re-configured if necessary. As long as there are no turnouts on the section joints one can add or eliminate sections and make new sections where needed for the new room. For now the simplest way to proceed would be build the station module along the 13 foot wall making it as long as possible, adding curved approach modules at each end. Then build the staging yard modules along whichever of the remaining walls doesn't have the door or large windows, then make "parade route scenic modules to link the staging to the depot scene. The door can be crossed by a lift out "bridge" section, so the track plan should be simple single or double track here. Any industries desired can be on their own modules along the parade route. If the depot can fit on an 8 foot module it would be the largest thing to worry about, the staging can be split into 2 or more shorter modules, and the parade route / industry modules can be made whatever length best suits their configuration. .....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:03 am

Updated the plan to be setup against a wall. The long route along the bottom will be on a decline and go into a tunnel under the main lines on the bottom right. After that it will come back up for the staging.

This should allow me to build the staging as needed if/when the room changes. Thoughts?
Attachments
Station 7.jpg
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby MacG » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:42 pm

Can you reach the backwards rails? With approximate 4' it is very deep. It is similar than my desk and I can't reach the opposite side of this.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:08 pm

"With approximate 4' it is very deep"
Yeah, I agree. Building the station module about 30 inches or less width would make it a lot easier to work on and to operate. I put a typical around the walls layout schematic in the photo galley, should come up on the most recent photos page. Note that the module lengths can be chosen to put the joints where they are not under buildings and turnouts and the staging yard can be slid around the walls to place it where there is no doorway.The room entry door should have the narrowest possible benchwork spanning it so a simple lift out or gate can be constructed. This type of layout works best if hung chest high or higher on the wall so the view is closer to a trackside view and so the wall space under it can be used for storage or other furniture uses......DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:55 pm

Darn it. It's true, the 3'6" depth I have right now doesn't make sense. I didn't want to go all the way around the room (would have preferred a U shaped layout).
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:09 pm

"I didn't want to go all the way around the room (would have preferred a U shaped layout)."

You could put the station modules on the top 13 foot wall and run the tracks down each side with staging loops in the lower right and lower left corners but that would shorten the scenic parade route tracks , would take up more room , and would require a tighter curve radius than a simpler around the room plan..DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:31 am

I guess around the room it is :evil:
Attachments
S7.jpg
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans