Here I go again.....

Re: Here I go again.....

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:26 pm

I think so far that I have seen a near 50/50 split in center room and wall running layouts in my lifetime so far, I do not think that there is a clear reason for one or the other, aside from space, parts availability, and personal tastes of the layout owners.
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Postby krokodil » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:17 pm

It is also the intetion what somebody wants to show on the layout.
The European modelers - mainly the German speaking countries have a huge model industry offering a complete portfolio from tracks over vehicles to special accessories and the primary interrest is to show in a smallest space the wide range of products. ( and of course sell them)
This can be seen in catalogs, product guides and on many shows. The layout fits in any room - is a typical slogan.
Most of the modelers ( including us aged generation :-( ) once started from such guides and build the first table top layout.
In other countries without full range model industry this pressure is not existing, and the modelers are looking for individual ressources and building guides ( Kalmach books etc).
Those authors/guides try to show the readers how to model a railway scene and for them the space or the product availability is mostly the secondary aspect ( if at all :dance: ).
In many cases (English, Dutch and French modelers) very often concentrate on small, extremely detailed realistic scenes ( sometimes called dioramas), where the continous operation is not existing or extremely limited (http://www.nevard.com).
These are two different schools and there are also in Germany very good publications for realistic and from the manufacturers more or less independent layout constructions.
Last edited by krokodil on Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Well, you guys have me all discombobulated. I'm trying out different designs but I have a feeling I'll stick to the original.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:14 pm

ConducTTor wrote:...discombobulated...

Is that the new word of the day?

Seriously, if you ask 12 model railroaders for layout ideas, you will most likely get 12 differing ideas. And that looks like what we have here.
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:45 am

So here's the deal.

I currently have a ton of space for the layout in a "man room". The problem is that our house is pretty old (1955) and there are constantly major things that need to be fixed. Due to this, in a few years we'll probably sell it and buy a newer one. That's ultimately what I'm planning for. Going by our 3rd bedroom (the smallest one) I can't even fit my current design. Planning for an unknown is very tough as I have no idea where a door or window(s) or closet may be located. The big plus for the current design is that I don't have to account for staging as it's already built in to the existing plan.

I'm having a very tough time with this.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:22 am

"Planning for an unknown is very tough as I have no idea where a door or window(s) or closet may be located"

I'm kinda in the same situation. I have a large detached train building now but might want to move to a smaller property in a couple of years. I'm planning to just build a modular TT scale layout in easy to handle sections of no more than about 6 feet long and 30 inches or less wide. I plan to start with a staging yard then if I stay here I'll just keep adding sections around the room till I make a loop and then if I do move I can take them apart and re-assemble them in whatever space I get. The sections will be bolted together at the ends and the trackwork will be designed to not place turnouts over section joints. If I get as far as scenery I'll just run it across the joint and cut it later if a move ever happens. I'm going to mount the sections on shelf brackets on the wall so I don't have to make legs. I've built other layouts in the past using the section method and had no problems taking them apart and re-using the modules. I currently have an N scale layout in a spare bedroom that uses the same benchwork type so I'll have two layouts to move if I start on a TT layout too... ..DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:29 am

So that's where I'm having the biggest problem - the section method. I have to have 2 things: the station I want and a "parade route" (an area of track where trains are rolling along as they would in nature). It's incredibly tough to design for both in sections if you're unsure what exactly what you're working with. My current design is great because I know that as long as I get the required dimensions I have my station, my staging and, my parade route accounted for in the smallest possible area.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:53 am

"I have to have 2 things: the station I want and a "parade route" (an area of track where trains are rolling along as they would in nature). It's incredibly tough to design for both in sections if you're unsure what exactly what you're working with"

The "parade route" of generic scenery wouldn't be too hard, you'd just want to keep any passing siding turnouts off the module joints. Scenery can be built with end profile boards so only the cosmetic surface layer needs to be cut if it's ever moved. The station module would have to be longer than ideal but even a long module can be moved if it's framed strong enough. If the depot building / train platforms module was say 8 feet long by 30 inches wide that would be moveable with some effort and care. Window location in a new room can't be planned for but it's possible to just place a layout across a window if necessary so I'd not worry about that for now..DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby krokodil » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:32 am

ConducTTor wrote:So here's the deal.

I currently have a ton of space for the layout in a "man room". The big plus for the current design is that I don't have to account for staging as it's already built in to the existing plan.

I'm having a very tough time with this.

Do not worry about a modular design. Select the location with minimal tracks and for the connecting sides use some stable material ( pertinax, 5-10 mm plexi or similar materials) for the connecting surface. With 6-10 mm dia. bolts and nuts ( butterfly) in aluminium tubes which can be glued in one surface plate you can easily screw together the segments - and open them any time.
I plan our layout also from 3 segments to build it easier and for easy transportation.

image.jpg
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:43 am

The "problem" with the above plan is that it still requires the staging to be under the layout. If I'm going to change my original design it's only to remove the need for the staging to be under the everything else.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans