Here I go again.....

Re: Here I go again.....

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:27 am

ctxmf74 wrote:....i'd probably move the right/left crossover around the corner to the straight section before the curve.

I thought about doing that but for some reason I'm not a fan of it.

ctxmf74 wrote:I obviously don't understand the design as drawn, do the double tracks enter hidden staging where they end? If that's the case this will not be a simple layout even if it is a rectangle.

Yes the mains go to staging - it's shown in the previous page.

ctxmf74 wrote:The simplist design I can think of for that room would be starting with the center drawing but reverse the right curve so it runs down the right wall and around the lower right corner then place the staging across the lower wall and run from left end of staging back to the depot up the left wall. The top wall with depot scene could be about 24-27 inches deep and the left and right sides as deep as the scenery desired requires but maybe something like 16-18 inches? The lower wall staging could be as wide as the number of tracks require. This would eliminate any hidden tracks, open up the room center for easy access, minimize the square footage of none railroad specific scenery, and allow continuous backdrops around the walls. ..DaveB

I suppose I should clarify my "simple" statement. Mainly I'm talking about ease of moving. As it currently is, everything is packaged in 3 4'X5'1" sections. Going around the walls would require a lot more.

I COULD do an L shape using some of your suggestions. The benefit being that the whole thing is against the walls. The negative is yet another big module. I'll play around with an L and see what comes of it.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby krokodil » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:28 am

And here are the TTe (H0f) switches for the mining RR

image.jpg

image.jpg
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:57 am

"As it currently is, everything is packaged in 3 4'X5'1" sections. Going around the walls would require a lot more."

My experience is that narrower benchwork is easier to build and to make portable if a move is ever needed. If the walls are clear and useable the layout can be mounted on cheap shelf brackets and not need legs then if it is ever moved it can be re-configured on a new wall or legs built for it if some parts become peninsulas in a new room. Wall mounted benchwork would work out to something like two 5' 1" by 30 " depot sections across the top wall , two 5 ' 1.5 " by 18" sections on the scenic'd right wall, two 5' 1" by 16 " staging sections across the bottom wall, and two 5" 1.5" by 18" scenic'd sections across the left wall. There'd be twice as many sections but they'd all be much smaller and easier to build. If the room could handle wall mounted shelf brackets the layout could be hung about chest high for a good view and lots of access under it for storage or furniture, and if I added it up right there'd be an open center area 10' 2" by 6' 5" for operators and general room use when not running trains.....DaveB
Last edited by ctxmf74 on Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ctxmf74

Postby Juup » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:15 am

Plenty of grief from us about your diagonal design LOL I guess what is happening is we are testing your design concept through questioning. Some more questioning:

What kinds of trains will you be running? Long passenger coaches may look less than elegant on the 353 radius turn even with trees hiding it. But yes every plan has compromises.

Where is the door to enter the room? That is, you want to get to a point when finished where you won't need to crawl to the other side on any regular basis. Will you use the other side for storage? Can you open the window without having to crawl under?

Intuitively I'd like to have the station in front of me when entering the room... but suspect yours will be the other way around and I think I understand why. Your decision in this regard may affect how often you will have to crawl to the other side ... maybe on the construction stage at least.

If you enjoy this layout drawing design stage, what are the chances that you will be happy with this layout in a new house in the future?

The design is quite particular in shape and the angles and arrangements of track ... will it travel well to a new location?

Finally ... is builing something that can be moved necessarily faster than building something not intended to be moved? Not sure what the answer is.

Oh and if you want to complete this in a reasonable time frame then perhaps keep to readily available tillig turnout solutions. But yes those kitbashed ones look great :)

Juup

Using Tapatalk 2
Juup

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:18 pm

" Plenty of grief from us about your diagonal design LOL "

Yeah, I'm just concerned that it would be too hard to build with the staging under the wide table? Spreading it out around the room just seems a lot easier to me. That's a good point about it taking longer to build something that can be moved versus just building something for the present room. I think the answer would be how likely is it that the layout will be moved? If it will be moved for sure then building in re-configurable modules is probably worth the time .....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:54 pm

Dammit. You guys are convincing. I'm not TOTALLY convinced but I'll play around with an against the wall version. I knew I shouldn't have asked for critique LOL!
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:03 am

You guys have really made me rethink this. Mainly because of the solutions you've presented which would alleviate what I think is a pretty big potential issue. The way I have things planned right now, with double level modules, I think there's good potential for the gaps to start mis-aligning as the wood warps (even just a bit) over time. Or am I wrong?
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:43 am

"I think there's good potential for the gaps to start mis-aligning as the wood warps (even just a bit) over time. Or am I wrong?"

Expansion and contraction depend a lot on the climate where you live and on the specific layout space you have. If the room humidity changes a lot you will be more likely to have problems. A simpler around the walls design would still be subject to some expansion and contraction but everything would be out in the open and easier to maintain, and narrower sections are also less likely to expand as much since they have less width of wood. The main question in deciding to go around the walls is where are the doors and windows that must be kept clear for access and are there any other obstructions or wall areas that can't be used? If the room is just the 13 foot by 10 foot rectangle it would be quite simple to come up with a plan. If the depot can be placed on the 13 foot wall then you just need to decide the minimum radius and draw it in with a little clearance between the track and the walls and you'll have you maximum possible station length. Example, using 30 inch radius curves at each end plus 6 inches of track to wall clearance would leave 7 feet of station straight track. If 7 feet is not long enough then with 24 inch radius curves and the 6 inch buffer on each side the station straight could extend to 8 feet. I'd go with the larger radius personally since it makes trains look and run a lot better ....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby Juup » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:35 pm

I have often wondered why many layouts built by Germans are in the centre of the room whilst layouts built by Brits and North Americans are along the walls ... sorry I just made the model rail world very much smaller than it is in a sweeping generalisation.
Juup

Using Tapatalk 2
Juup

Postby j p » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:09 pm

Juup wrote:I have often wondered why many layouts built by Germans are in the centre of the room whilst layouts built by Brits and North Americans are along the walls ... sorry I just made the model rail world very much smaller than it is in a sweeping generalisation.
Juup

Using Tapatalk 2

Your observation is correct, but I don't think it is caused by the nationality. It is rather caused by the way the houses are build, especially the windows. I have noticed when I was in Germany that most of the windows open towards the room, while here in Denmark most of the windows open towards outside. I think that German modelers found it difficult to remove one section of the layout each time they wanted to get some fresh air in the room.
German windows are easier to clean but not so good for a layout along the walls.
j p

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans