Postby ConducTTor » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:05 pm

Same here - tried and tested.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Help topic for building a model of SD45

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:20 pm

As I'm not familiar, can you clue me in to the Hobbytown drives?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby krokodil » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:18 am

Hi Bernd

You can make it even better, when you place the tower gear between the motor and the flywheel and in the bottom of the model you can distribute the power with two universals to the boogies. The mechanism works well, is a bit noisier than the tower gears on each boogie. The problems ( it should not be a problem anymore) are on the wheel worm gears. They must be very robust to face the heavy loads appearing on the layouts - in the past the gears on the wheels had tendency for damage.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby CN-TT » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:58 pm

Bernd wrote:This will give some room at the other for electronics and such.

Especially in TT, I need some more room for a better mechanics for my remote uncoupler. That's why Idon't like the motors with 2 driveshafts. It takes too much space for a second (unnecessary) gearbox!

Björn
CN-TT

Postby ctxmf74 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:25 am

"That's why Idon't like the motors with 2 driveshafts. It takes too much space for a second (unnecessary) gearbox!"

Double ended motors with two flywheels, two driveshafts, and two gear towers are inherently more reliable because they halve the stress on the drive parts. Run everything thru one shaft and the stress is doubled. There's reasons to not use two gear towers and two driveshafts but they are secondary to performance and reliability and usually involve compromise for sound or other secondary features. A low nose diesel might need a single tower in the rear in which case the tower needs to be stronger than it would be if there were two of them splitting the load. None of this is very complicated, the trouble is just getting someone to make the parts at an affordable price......DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby areibel » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:58 am

Bernd wrote:So your telling me that the drive below is weaker than an Athearn drive Dave?

Bernd

LOL!
I often wondered if Hobbytown didn't use a designer that had previous experience building Sherman tanks in WWII?
areibel

Postby CN-TT » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:50 am

ctxmf74 wrote:There's reasons to not use two gear towers and two driveshafts but they are secondary to performance and reliability and usually involve compromise for sound or other secondary features.

There is one thing I learned in my 29+ modelrailroader-years. Modelrailroading is just like life itself - it's all about compromises -you can't have all at once!!!

Björn
CN-TT

Postby ctxmf74 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:18 pm

"So your telling me that the drive below is weaker than an Athearn drive "

No I'm say the stress on the first u-joints is twice what it would be if they had used a double ended motor and split the load. Ultimate strength is not the same as proportionate strength, one can build with lighter components if the load is split. AS for ball bearings, etc. it's not a matter of can it be done it's a matter of is it needed and is it worth the additional cost. Athearn's simple inexpensive drives powered model locos millions of miles over the years.......DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby j p » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:00 pm

Bernd wrote:From what I've seen steamers only use one gear tower. Must be a big load on those U-joints on a 2-10-0. Must be worse on an articulated such as a 4-8-8-4 Big Boy.
Bernd

BigBoy has 2 gear towers obviously - because of the articulation. The drive for Challenger is here on the board, BigBoy's drive is identical. http://www.ttnut.com/hp-4-6-6-4-articulated-t303.html
Or rather no gear towers since there is no additional gear between the worm and the driver axle?
j p

Postby ctxmf74 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:44 pm

"The Britt's sure like using them, ball bearings that is."

When the Brits have sold more US prototype locos than Irv Athearn then they'll have some standing. We don't need the best locos we need the most available, reliable locos. Does the new Saz model switcher have ball bearings? No reason to make anything more hi tech than it as it runs great......DaveB
ctxmf74

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models