Help me with my show layout

Re: Help me with my show layout

Postby railtwister » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:29 am

Keep chipping away at it Alex, layout progress comes slowly, but scenery yields visual results much quicker than most of the other aspects of layout building.

Recently, I've been refreshing the ground cover on my 27 year old HO modules (also for the Atlanta show), and I have tried out some of the static grass blends from Scenic Express, applying them with a Noch GrassMaster. I have been very impressed with the effect of using the static grass materials rather than just ground foam, even though I am less impressed with the GrassMaster itself, which I think is less powerful than it should be (especially for that kind of price). This is probably due to the fact that the GrassMaster operates on a 9 volt battery, which seems to lose it's edge after just a few moments. Probably would be better with a wall wart power supply, which should yield more constant power, but would probably have more problems meeting electrical safety requirements. In spite of the shortcomings of the application process, however, I believe the use of static grass in scenery is as big of an improvement over just the ground foam as the foam was over the dyed sawdust we used years ago. Now I'm considering trying out the two Grass-Tech applicators, if only I can get around the thought of shelling out that much more money for static application tools that probably won't get used that often.

If anyone here is planning on attending the show and is interested, my HO group is the East Coast HO Exhibitor's Society, and I believe we may be set up somewhere near the Food Court, so stop by and say "Hi".

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:08 pm

I don't have time to get into static grass right now but plan on using this layout at other local shows so it'll be coming :)

Is there any interest in a topic dedicated specifically to this show? Those of us going to the show can use it to communicate and we can also post real time pics for the others on the board.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:18 pm

ConducTTor wrote:I don't have time to get into static grass right now but plan on using this layout at other local shows so it'll be coming :)

Is there any interest in a topic dedicated specifically to this show? Those of us going to the show can use it to communicate and we can also post real time pics for the others on the board.

There already is a thread dedicated to the 2013 Atlanta Convention, at nmra-2013-convention-in-atlanta-ga-t1724-50.html .

How many TTnut.com members plan on showing up to the show in Atlanta?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:25 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:Is there any interest in a topic dedicated specifically to this show? Those of us going to the show can use it to communicate and we can also post real time pics for the others on the board.

There already is a thread dedicated to the 2013 Atlanta Convention, at nmra-2013-convention-in-atlanta-ga-t1724-50.html .

:doh:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:43 pm

ConducTTor wrote:
AngrySailor302 wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:Is there any interest in a topic dedicated specifically to this show? Those of us going to the show can use it to communicate and we can also post real time pics for the others on the board.

:doh:

As I have said before, I practically live here.
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:57 pm

Love the new avatar :)
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:18 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Love the new avatar :)

Thanks.

My son Terry has just discovered the original Knight Rider TV series, and is now insisting that I install a "scanner" bar on Bonnie, my 1989 Ford Ranger (yes, the truck is named after Bonnie Barstow, KITT's mechanic during seasons 1, 3, and 4.) I told him that we will paint my 1970's vintage Snapper mower black and give it a scanner bar instead.

But, all tangents aside, how many TTnut members plan on going to the show? Perhaps we can try to aim for a group photo.
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:37 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:But, all tangents aside, how many TTnut members plan on going to the show? Perhaps we can try to aim for a group photo.

Perhaps put that question in the topic you pointed me to earlier? :wink:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:47 pm

ConducTTor wrote:
AngrySailor302 wrote:But, all tangents aside, how many TTnut members plan on going to the show? Perhaps we can try to aim for a group photo.

Perhaps put that question in the topic you pointed me to earlier? :wink:

Done.
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:06 pm

First layer of grass going on.
Attachments
sl 001.jpg
sl 002.jpg
sl 003.jpg
ConducTTor
Site Admin