Hello from France !

Talk about anything and everything!

Hello from France !

Postby GuiTTar_Case » Wed May 23, 2018 10:21 am

Hello everyone !

I'm a new member here, so I'd like to introduce myself ! My name is Antonin, I'm 32 years old, I live in Brittany (Western France), I'm unemployed ... But I've got hobbies ! And my favorite is model railroading.

I used to play with HO and N scale trains since I was a kid, but I took a break about model trains. Now, I've got enough time to build my very first layout ! In TT scale ! It's very unusual in France ... Maybe are we just 50 model railroaders to practice TT scale, unlike Germany and Eastern Europe ...

Because of limited financial means and middle-size flat, I choose to make a micro-layout ... in a guitar case ! That explains my nickname for this board. :thumbup:

It's in progress, it'll look like an Inglenook Sidings layout, with short-sized rolling stock (060 diesel locomotive and 2-axles goods wagons), simple (no digital controls, no switch motors ...) and thrifty.

Ah, I'm sorry if I made spelling mistakes in English ... I hope I have my place on your board !

I'll post photos of my rolling stock and my layout in progress ... See ya !

Greetings.

- Antonin :wave:
- Antonin "GuiTTar_Case" :mrgreen:
GuiTTar_Case

Re: Hello from France !

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:40 am

Hello, Antonin!

Welcome to the board!
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby GuiTTar_Case » Fri May 25, 2018 5:28 pm

Hello, AstroGoat760 !

Thanks a lot ! :thumbup:

I'd like to say that my rolling stock is typically ex-DR and ex-SSSR styled ... Unless ordering TT-scale trains in Germany, which means finding only Center and Eastern Europe rolling stock to play with, nothing : not one model railroading dealer in France sells TT scale !

Also, Tillig have almost nothing for French Railways (SNCF) rolling stock in their catalog, except a smattering of goods wagons, but no locomotives, no passenger coaches ... France is not their main selling market :mrgreen:

So, I've got actually (until next order on a German webshop !), one T-334 shunting diesel loco, one reefer, one hopper, and one flat wagon. I'll show them in a next thread, in the adequate topic section :geek:

See ya !
GuiTTar_Case

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri May 25, 2018 6:19 pm

GuiTTar_Case wrote:Hello, AstroGoat760 !

Thanks a lot ! :thumbup:

I'd like to say that my rolling stock is typically ex-DR and ex-SSSR styled ... Unless ordering TT-scale trains in Germany, which means finding only Center and Eastern Europe rolling stock to play with, nothing : not one model railroading dealer in France sells TT scale !

Also, Tillig have almost nothing for French Railways (SNCF) rolling stock in their catalog, except a smattering of goods wagons, but no locomotives, no passenger coaches ... France is not their main selling market :mrgreen:

So, I've got actually (until next order on a German webshop !), one T-334 shunting diesel loco, one reefer, one hopper, and one flat wagon. I'll show them in a next thread, in the adequate topic section :geek:

See ya !

I too wish there was more French TT Scale stuff out there, as I fell in love with France during two port calls in 2007-2008 (Toulon, where I took the TGV to Marseille), and Brest (where I bought a Roco SNCF HO train set and brought it home).

Viva la France!
AstroGoat760

Postby krokodil » Sat May 26, 2018 1:42 am

Hi Antonin

Welcome to the board!

It is quite interesting what I hear here. It is not only in France, that TT scale is ignored in the shops. It is almost general even in western part of Gemany, except Köln, there are almost no shops offering TT scale stuff.
On the other hand we expecting from the few TT scale manufacturers (practically 2 major ones worldwide!) a complete sortiment of all national trains from US to Russia. :clap:
The good thing is that we have the e-shops and such forums for the modelers in this funny scale worldwide. Finaly this situation makes from the people modelers instead of shoppers. We still have to do something manually to get a nice local model or a layout in this scale.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby Arseny » Sat May 26, 2018 3:36 am

Bonjour, Antonin! Hello from Russia!

France is very familiar for my family. :wink: My sister lives in France (in Nancy), my mother has a lot of friends in France. She is a teacher of French language, she visited France a lot of times and we have a lot of French artefacts at home. My favotite thing is French cheese. :thumbup:
My father's car is Renault. My son learns French, and my wife too; her dream is to visit France sometime.

Yes, TT scale is quite rare in France. In my childhood, my mother's friends presented me a lot of gifts from France - toy cars, games, LEGO, etc, etc ...but never TT scale trains! It was a greatest disappointment for me! :lol:

But Tillig yet offers some French cars (wagons) in TT. Try to search in the Tillig's catalog. For example, I remember wine tank car - just the appropriate reservoir for French cognac or armagnac! :lol:

Also, some time ago, in the 1970s, BTTB offered the TT scale startset with the CC-7139 (French electric locomotive). You can still find it on Ebay or somewhere else. It was quite simplified, start version, but ...it was French!
Did France use any German locomotives? I am sure, France got some German railroad stuff after the World War II. Consider it.
For examle:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat%C3%A9 ... stice_1945

At least, SNCF got some 150 Y steam locomotives = former German BR52, quite popular locomotive in TT.
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/BR_52
and 150 Z steam locomotives = former German BR50, also available in TT from Tillig
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/150_Z
Maybe you can find something else?

They were in use mostly in Alsace and Lorraine, but nevertheless it's France!

Bah, I completely forgot this useful section of this forum!
france-societe-nationale-des-chemins-de-fer-francais-t669.html

So, for small layout you can use Y50100 diesel locomotive = former German V36
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y_50100
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/DB_s%C3%A9rie_V_36

10 locomotives were used in France, and 3 are still in use!
1 - by Chemin de fer touristique du Haut Quercy
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemin_de ... aut_Quercy
and also 2 locomotives by Chemin de fer touristique des Hautes Falaises (Normandie, it's just near you! :wink: )

So, you can use TT-scale V36 locomotive for your French layout.
It is small and it wil be good for small layout!

Good luck!

Arseny
Arseny

Postby MacG » Sat May 26, 2018 9:57 am

Hello Antonin,

Tillig had some years ago an SNCF Freight car set for beginners with a Rh076 (item 01429). There was also an SNCF switcher Y 50 (German V36, Tillig item 02634).

I hope you are been inspired by the great "GuiTTar Case" from our member CN-TT.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we are shipping worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby GuiTTar_Case » Sat May 26, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi there ! I'll try to answer to every post :thumbup:

@ AstroGoat760 : You're (or you were) in the US Navy, or in the Merchant Navy, or boater, to make port calls in Toulon and Brest ? Oh yeah, I was in the French Marine for 8 months, in 2005 ... It did not last. In Toulon (Saint-Mandrier, the main sailors training base ...)

From Marseille to Nice (and Vintimille, Italian border), it's not high speed, mostly 120 to 160 km/h ... it's the maximum speed that the TGV can safely reach and maintain on classic lines. For curve radius, level crossing, signals systems and catenary - on French high speed lines, there aren't any level crossing, curve radius are set for 300 or 320 km/h, so is the catenary 8-)

Brest ! Yes, it's a 90 minutes car drive to the north, from my actual location (Audierne). Which Roco HO train set did you bought ? The one with the Y8000 orange shunting loco and two wagons ? Another one ?

Thanks a lot, long live United States of America ! :wave:

@ Krokodil : Hi ! Yes, thereby I've got to order my rolling stock, tracks and miscellaneous to MSL (Detmold). They've got the best choice, and they are real pros - unlike some French webshops ... Trains from Russia ? Absolutely, Tillig, Piko and Roco show more and more RZD rolling stock (for example, the Paris-Moscow train sleeping coaches, several Diesel locomotives - they really look Soviet), also rolling stock from Ukrainian Railways, Belorussian Railways, ...

Maybe one day, we will have in TT scale things like Kazakh Railways, Chinese or Mongolian Railways rolling stock - so it could be a fun challenge to make a layout project on a "border train station with axles and boogies interchange" :mrgreen: For the rest, you said everything about our situation, nothing to add !

@ Arseny : Zdravstvuyte ! Bol'shoye spasibo, privet ot Frantsii ! (Google Translate ...) :wave: Okay !
As far as I know, not one of French model trains manufacturers (in the past) ever made TT scale trains ! But in the UK, Tri-Ang had a nice TT British rolling stock product range ...

We had Jouef (which is now only a part of Hornby - it was bought by Lima then went bankrupt ... until 1996, all was assembled in Champagnole, French Jura), they only made HO scale trains and stuff, they had a small HOe product range (the famous Egger-Bahn). We had JEP, in the 50's, it was O scale tin-plate, and a lot of small craft manufacturers ...

In most cases, TT scale trains were brought back from Berlin to France by soldiers, during their national service. So I think that some old French model railroaders still have some BTTB, Zeuke, or DDR epoch TT rolling stock ! :whistle:

Yes, I think I know this wine tank wagon. Maybe a Simotra (one of the most known French bulk wagons owner) wagon, SCwf type, two axles, Epoch III.

The CC-7107 is still famous, for a speed record in the 50's : 331 km/h ! So the CC-7139 is from this series. I'll look for it :smile:

True, SNCF 150 Y and 150 Z were "war indemnities", as the former German V36, as some former German BR55 (G7.1) steam locomotives ... You're right, the Y50100 is typically the style of diesel loco I'd like to buy ! Maybe for next Christmas :dance:

@ MacG : Hello ! Yes, I've seen this train set for sale in late 2014 ... But it went quickly unavailable. It seems that Tillig doesn't make it anymore in this version - but it's still available in DB, PKP, MÀV, or SBB version. This TRAXX diesel locomotive is actually in operation on French Railways. When I ordered my start set, I wanted to order the set with the modern freight train (so, with the long flat wagon and the sliding walls wagon), but it was unavailable ...

I've maybe seen the "GuiTTar Case" layout from CN-TT on Google Images, as I was searching for inspiration ... But the Tillig "Bettungsgleis" track may not allow me this kind of track plan :roll: I'll see !

Thanks a lot, everyone ! See ya !

- Antonin "GuiTTar_Case" :ugeek:
GuiTTar_Case

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat May 26, 2018 5:25 pm

GuiTTar_Case wrote:Hi there ! I'll try to answer to every post :thumbup:

@ AstroGoat760 : You're (or you were) in the US Navy, or in the Merchant Navy, or boater, to make port calls in Toulon and Brest ? Oh yeah, I was in the French Marine for 8 months, in 2005 ... It did not last. In Toulon (Saint-Mandrier, the main sailors training base ...)

From Marseille to Nice (and Vintimille, Italian border), it's not high speed, mostly 120 to 160 km/h ... it's the maximum speed that the TGV can safely reach and maintain on classic lines. For curve radius, level crossing, signals systems and catenary - on French high speed lines, there aren't any level crossing, curve radius are set for 300 or 320 km/h, so is the catenary 8-)

Brest ! Yes, it's a 90 minutes car drive to the north, from my actual location (Audierne). Which Roco HO train set did you bought ? The one with the Y8000 orange shunting loco and two wagons ? Another one ?

Thanks a lot, long live United States of America ! :wave:

- Antonin "GuiTTar_Case" :ugeek:

Antonin, I was in the US Navy for 8 years, besides France, I have been to Rota, Spain, Chania, Crete, Greece, and La Maddalena, Italy.

I would have made a career of it, but in 2008 I was severely injured in an on-base incident, and was medically discharged in 2010. I use to post here as "AngrySailor302", mainly because I literally was so angry at everything and almost everyone because of having to deal with the pain levels associated with my injuries.

As I recovered, both physically and mentally (still have progress to go, but I am a whole new person compered to 10 years ago), thanks in part to the nice people here helping me along and encouraging me as best as they could.

It is indeed nice to have a hobby, and there is no hobby finer than Model Railroading, and no finer scale than TT Scale!
AstroGoat760

Postby j p » Mon May 28, 2018 8:06 pm

Welcome and hello to you from Denmark.

There are other manufacturers than Tillig (although even Tillig makes or used to make some French cars and locomotives).
BB1800 is available on Shapeways.
I have a 30 years old resin kit set of TGV Sud-Est. I wanted to have a TT scale model of (then) the world's fastest train. The drive for it was not easy to make and this project was never completed.

- Jan
j p

Next

Return to Off Topic