Harry Barth BTTB motor upgrade

Harry Barth BTTB motor upgrade

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:45 pm

I've had a question regarding the Harry Barth motor and gear updates for BTTB locomotives. You can find these kits on Ebay Germany. Here is one of them for reference http://cgi.ebay.de/MABUCHIMOTOR-GETRIEB ... 19b74edad7.
That particular kit is for the BR221, BR118, BR130 and Nohabs.
For those interested, I've bought three of these kits and have been very satisfied - the change in driving characteristics is night and day.

The installation is very straight forward:
Remove the BTTB motor. Cut away the two "stands" that the motor was attached to. Put in the new motor in it's place for a test fit. Some models also have plastic protruding in the center of the chassis that will have to be removed so the new motor will fit. Next you will have to change the gearing.
You will now need to remove two screws holding the shaft bulkhead (1st pic). Depending on the kit you buy, there may be a new drive shaft included. This will substitute the drive shaft that turns the boggie shafts (2nd pic). If one was not included, you will have take the one that's currently there and remove the gear attached to it and substitute with one your kit provides. This requires a bit of force - it's a tight fit.
The shaft now goes back in - don't screw down the shaft bulkhead all the way yet. Now it's time to add the motor - it comes mounted on a sticky pad so it will stay on it's own. Adjust all the gearing between motor and wheels - this may take several tries until everything runs smoothly. If it's not SMOOOOTH, it's not right. Once that is all done, tighten the screws holding the bulkhead and add a couple of drops of super glue on the corners of the sticky pad holding the motor.
Last is the wiring. The wires from the motor get soldered to the electrical pick ups on their respective sides of the chassis. You can remove everything leading to the lights - you will substitute it with the diodes provided in the kit. That's it, you're done. Let me know if you have questions.

DSCN0380.jpg

DSCN0375.jpg

DSCN0376.jpg

DSCN0378.jpg

DSCN0379.jpg
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Harry Barth BTTB motor upgrade

Postby BTTB Fan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:58 pm

Thanks, man! I am still doubting it's as easy as that (after all, the instructions have 19 steps of un-translatable German techno-lingo), but I will give it a try!
So, for the motor, no diodes, no capacitors, just solder to the pickups, eh? The little piece of paper that came with 4 diodes was saying something about 1.2V vs 2.9V. I guess, I will not be using those diodes then - I have already converted my lighing to LED.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Re: Harry Barth BTTB motor upgrade

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:03 pm

Pretty much. Diodes to the bulbs. I did three locos like that and they work great. Although in retrospect, a cap or two may not be bad to keep the electricals "smoother".
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Return to Prototypes / Models