Handlaying Straight Track

Handlaying Straight Track

Postby Bernd » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:46 pm

I'm working on a jig to help lay straight track when using wooden ties such as from Clover House. I'm thinking of using a PC tie every 5 tie. Would that be to many PC ties over a long distance? Perhaps every 10th tie? Anybody have any suggestions?

Bernd
Bernd

Re: Handlaying Straight Track

Postby Tom Dempsey » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:00 pm

The rule of thumb has always been every fifth tie, however, if it is truly tangent track I'm sure stretching it to every tenth tie would work out fine. What I'm not sure of is why that would matter when designing the jig.
Tom Dempsey

Postby Bernd » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:02 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:The rule of thumb has always been every fifth tie, however, if it is truly tangent track I'm sure stretching it to every tenth tie would work out fine. What I'm not sure of is why that would matter when designing the jig.

Now that you mention it your right. The jig will give you the option of very fifth or tenth or any other combo.

I've got it drawn up. Next step, convert the drawing to G code and mill one out. Thanks Tom.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ctxmf74 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:31 am

"every fifth tie?"

I settled on four wooden ties between a pair of PC board ties for my code 70 track. On tangents it might be possible to go with a couple more wood ties between the PC board ties but on curves I think it could affect the fairness of the curve as well as the chances of the track getting out of gauge from broken solder joints. I think using every 5th tie is a good compromise between strength and cost ......DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:40 pm

Bernd, are you planning on making curved jigs? If so, what radii are you doing?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bernd » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:48 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Bernd, are you planning on making curved jigs? If so, what radii are you doing?

Alex,

Right now I'm working on getting the straight one worked. Next will come the curved. I don't know how big a radius I can cut on the Sherline with a limited table travel of only 9".

Give me some curves that would be used and when I get around to the curved one I'll better be able to tell if I can do them.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby CSD » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:11 am

Just a quick aside about curved track: You can use the strait jig to make it. Use the jig to get the spacing right and then lay a thin strip of tape down the middle. I cut masking tape into 1/16" to 1/8" strips (I eyeball it). This acts kind of like flex track, keeping the spacing of the ties as you go around a curve. Once the glue dries, pull the tape off the top. All done. Any radius you like. One jig.

Actually, I do the same on strait track. Space them out in the jig, tape, pull them out, lay them down.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:20 am

Cool didn't think about that.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bernd » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:56 am

CSD wrote:Just a quick aside about curved track: You can use the strait jig to make it. Use the jig to get the spacing right and then lay a thin strip of tape down the middle. I cut masking tape into 1/16" to 1/8" strips (I eyeball it). This acts kind of like flex track, keeping the spacing of the ties as you go around a curve. Once the glue dries, pull the tape off the top. All done. Any radius you like. One jig.

Actually, I do the same on strait track. Space them out in the jig, tape, pull them out, lay them down.

Mark,

There was an article way back in Model Railroader where Linn Wescott (sp?) showed how to do that. What I'm getting at is trying to keep the rail straight without putting any kinks in it while fastening it down. I think there might be a bit of confusion here as to what I'm getting at.

I'm in the process of making one now. Pictures will explain it better. Give me a week or so and I'll have something.

Still need those numbers for the fixed radius's that would be used.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby CSD » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:16 am

I never saw that article in MR, just came to it on my own. As for the rest, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Mark
//S
CSD

Next

Return to General Discussion