Handlaying Straight Track

Re: Handlaying Straight Track

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:01 pm

"shift a few of the tie slots a bit. This would allow for realistic non perfect tie spacing."

In practice I don't think it would be necessary, one could shift a few ties before the glue sets. If using soldered PC ties every 5 tie or so would need to be left out of the jig and the other 4 wooden ties could then be spaced by eye so a tie jig might not even be needed? .....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:11 pm

true true
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bernd » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:22 pm

ConducTTor wrote:A suggestion for the non mainline jigs - shift a few of the tie slots a bit. This would allow for realistic non perfect tie spacing.

The jig's slots are quite loose so it might give you the non perfect tie spacing. Also what DaveB said will work.

I came up with another idea. Instead of doing two separate jigs I'm going to do the tie spacing on one side and then the PC tie spacing on the reverse side. What say the members? Good idea or not?

Bernd
Bernd

Postby MacG » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:24 pm

It's a very good idea!
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:23 pm

Good!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Tom Dempsey » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:47 pm

Good idea, as far as the non uniform tie spacing, I have found that by the time you've transferred the strip of ties from the jig to the layout, they've already become more than sufficiently non uniform.
Tom Dempsey

Postby Bernd » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:33 am

Tom Dempsey wrote:Good idea, as far as the non uniform tie spacing, I have found that by the time you've transferred the strip of ties from the jig to the layout, they've already become more than sufficiently non uniform.

How true that is.

Production has started. It takes over an hour to mill in the tie spacing slots. So in about 30 hours I'll have the one side done. The straight jig part takes a bit longer. The nice thing is once I had the G-code bug free all I have to do is load the part and push the start button.

Having time between part changes I needed something to do, like I don't have anymore projects, I came up with a kitbash for a TT scale two axle switcher. I'll post that project when I get some pictures taken.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:27 pm

The first side of 25 jigs are done. I did the first cut on the second side. Looks like I need a new cutter. The cut was not smooth. So new cutters ordered tonight. They're shipping Monday so perhaps by Wednesday I can get back to working on the second side.

I won't be adding the tapped holes down the center do to the fact that the jig is two sided and there would be holes through the tie spacing side. I've got a couple of ideas. I'll post those later.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:24 am

Got my end mills yesterday. There's a funny story behind getting the package that I'll relate to in another thread. But for now it's back to finishing up with milling the PC tie spacing and engraving on the second side.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:36 pm

Finally had a chance to try out one of the production jigs. I did a 3 foot length of Code55 rail. Here's a picture of it.
I started out with a spacing of every 5th tie. Next I tried every 10th tie. That seems to work out and the track is still stiff enough not to bend sideways.

Next step is trying out the jig for the wooden ties and gluing the whole works down.

Bernd
Bernd

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion