Handlaying Straight Track

Re: Handlaying Straight Track

Postby Bernd » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:21 pm

ConducTTor wrote:You could also compress the lettering length-wise so minute deviations in level don't have as much impact.

Yes, that's another good idea. Just trying to be a bit fancy. I've been playing around with different fonts also. The Kingstone label is "IFC RAILROAD". I think I'll stick with just plain text. Much easier and faster to mill in, and like you said, "compress it".

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ConnRiver » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:14 pm

Bernd wrote:
richardedmonds wrote:. . . Hey I enjoy getting "bigged up". I just hope the rest of the forum members don't get jealous. . . . -Bernd

Here's one member without a jealous thought. Love to see ideas float around on the forum, I just hope I'll have some worthwhile ones to expose soon, too. You go, Bernd! Love seeing what you're doing.

-Brian C.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby Bernd » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:39 pm

Production started today. I started with a partial sheet of 6061 T6 aluminum.

A stop was set and a piece of wood covers the top of the cut so I don't get sprayed with hot aluminum chips.

Pieces cut to rough width.

A stop was set to cut two pieces to rough length. Again the top was covered to keep from getting sprayed with hot aluminum chips.

34 rough cut pieces ready to be finished milled to width and length. The first batch is in the vise ready to be skinned off the top.

The table is blurry because it is moving. The top part being cut with a fly cutter for a nice smooth surface. They are milled on one side then turned over and the other side is milled to give proper width.

And the 34 jig blanks ready to have the grooves milled in. This took approximately 6 hours to do.

I know there probably isn't 34 TT modelers out there that are willing to try hand laying track so I'm doing 12 for now. A few of the others will be used for another idea I have for a jig. Hopefully I can get the 12 done bfore the end of the month. I have to sneak some time in for doing some house projects or I'll be busy building a dog house I'll need to move into. :lol:

Bernd
Last edited by Bernd on Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bernd

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:33 pm

:dance:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bernd » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:06 am

As all new designs usually have some design errors so has the straight track jig. I've discovered some errors that need correcting. I'm also waiting on an order from Sherline so I can speed up the spindle speed. The air spindle is not rigid enough for milling the tie slots in the jig. I also need to resolve a problem with engraving on the jig. The engraving cutters were breaking the fine tips off.

I also discovered I was not cutting the rail groove deep enough. When I tried to solder the rail on to the PC ties the aluminum jig was sucking all the heat out of the rail. Also the tip of my soldering iron was a bit to big to get into the sides for a proper solder joint. Things that need to get fixed before I release the jig for consumer consumption.

So production will be delayed for a couple of weeks. But have no fear the jigs will be made.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:31 pm

I think I have all the engineering wrinkles worked out. I got my pulleys so I can now run up to 10,000RPM on the spindle. Won't have to use the air spindle for mill any more. Also got new 45° engraving cutters.

With the new pulleys installed I took the mill for a test run. After several engineering changes I finally got good code to be able to do a production run.

Here's the first sample off the mill tonight.

And one with some assembled track using Clover House PC ties. In the upper right hand corner is a milled slot that is a gage for cutting the ties to length.

That's it for this weekend. Have some other projects that need to get done first.

Bernd
Last edited by Bernd on Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernd

Postby ConnRiver » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:59 pm

Bernd,

A modeler can solder both rails to make straight track, or one side to make curvable track, right? Also, by moving the last soldered rail-tie to the far end of the jig, one could continue to make tie-rail in pieces as long as one wished, it appears? Just stagger the ends of rails from one side to the other?

For curves, once the track is on the layout, use a track gauge to quickly solder the loose rail?

"45° engraving cutters"? They'll cut aluminum? Whatcha using those for?

Looks good!

-Brian C.
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby Bernd » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:26 pm

ConnRiver wrote:Bernd,
A modeler can solder both rails to make straight track, or one side to make curvable track, right? Also, by moving the last soldered rail-tie to the far end of the jig, one could continue to make tie-rail in pieces as long as one wished, it appears? Just stagger the ends of rails from one side to the other?

For curves, once the track is on the layout, use a track gauge to quickly solder the loose rail?

Yes, to all questions above. Working on a second jig for spacing the wooden ties. Just got done with drawing it up on the CAD program. Transferred it to the CAM program and have G-code ready for cutting one. That'll happen tomorrow hopefully.

"45° engraving cutters"? They'll cut aluminum? Whatcha using those for?

Those will be used to engrave the jigs so you'll know the tie spacing. Here's a pic of a test sample done with a 15° point engraver. Wasn't happy with the end result. Still needs some testing to perfect.

Looks good!

-Brian C.

Thanks for the compliment. Much appreciated.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:04 am

I have the complementary jig to the straight track PC tie jig done. This will make laying the Clover House TT scale ties much easier. The spacing is 21" on center.

Loaded with ties and a piece of masking tape facing upwards.

Nice and evenly spaced ready to be glued down to the road bed.

Time for bed.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:46 pm

A suggestion for the non mainline jigs - shift a few of the tie slots a bit. This would allow for realistic non perfect tie spacing.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion