Handlaying Straight Track

Re: Handlaying Straight Track

Postby Bernd » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:10 am

Bernd

Postby Bernd » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:31 pm

A bit of an update on the straight track fixture. I've got it to the point of being able to secure it to the mill table. I still need to mill out the pocket for the straight track jig. This might bore some of you but some like to see what it takes to make things. A few pictures.

This is how I keep from getting sprayed with hot aluminum chips. I place a piece of wood over the cut line and hold it down. I still get a few stray chips hit me, but not like I would without the covering wood.

And the end result.

Next I milled the keyways on the bottom and drilled holes for screws to hold the fixture to the table. I did that on my Bridgeport mill, not on the Sherline. The Sherline is to small for such large milling cuts.

And how it will mount on the mill table. Boring ain't it? :|

So that's it for a while. Time to enjoy the holidays with family. Still might get a couple of hours in modeling though.

Bernd
Last edited by Bernd on Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernd

Postby areibel » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:55 pm

I'm still envying your shop! I thought I might be able to come crashing in on you next week, I have to be in beautiful downtown Lakeville NY next Wednesday but I think I'm riding with someone so I'll be landlocked! I'd start stealing your ideas!
areibel

Postby Bernd » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:53 pm

areibel wrote:I'm still envying your shop! I thought I might be able to come crashing in on you next week, I have to be in beautiful downtown Lakeville NY next Wednesday but I think I'm riding with someone so I'll be landlocked! I'd start stealing your ideas!

Perhaps a little arm twisting might be in order. :lol: I don't suppose the other person is interested in model railroading? Hey, if the situation changes PM me and I'll tell you how to get here. You and your "someone" are welcome anytime.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby areibel » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:41 pm

I actually have to go to a class for the railroad (they're still trying to educate me!). We've got to be there at 8:30 so we have to leave down here at around 5:00 (AM- Yech!) and we'll probably be there until 2:00 or 3:00. But then it's 3+ hours back so I think time will be tight!
But don't worry, once I get close I can come back!
areibel

Postby Bernd » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:43 pm

areibel wrote:I actually have to go to a class for the railroad (they're still trying to educate me!). We've got to be there at 8:30 so we have to leave down here at around 5:00 (AM- Yech!) and we'll probably be there until 2:00 or 3:00. But then it's 3+ hours back so I think time will be tight!
But don't worry, once I get close I can come back!

Are you going to the LA&L Railroad? If so say Hi to Rick Rubino for me.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:44 am

Bernd keep the "boring" pics coming. I live my manufacturing vicariously through you.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bernd » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:55 am

ConducTTor wrote:Bernd keep the "boring" pics coming. I live my manufacturing vicariously through you.

Well of course I'll keep it the pics coming. I've run into some modelers who could care less of how a product gets from "thought" to the "finished product" and then complain that the price is to high. I also realize that some people don't care to know the process and find it boring. I try to find a balance so that the reader will get some idea of how it all works. And there are times I do it wrong also.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:28 pm

Some more boring stuff for Alex. :lol:

I've got the fixture done and tested. A pocket the size of the track jig was milled out and clamps added to hold the jig in place.

Just finished practicing a bit of engraving. Not as easy as I thought it would be. If the surface isn't perfectly level the engraving looks like crap. The engraving tool only cuts to a depth of about .005". I probably could go another .005", but I'm afraid of breaking the tip off as I already did on one cutter. Might have to try different size engraving tools. You can see the tool in the above pictures.

Here's a test run on engraving.

You can see that the "S" on Works is a bit shallow. Going to have to work the bugs out and try again.

That's it for now. Still hoping for January next year of producing a bunch.

Bernd
Last edited by Bernd on Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernd

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:26 pm

You could also compress the lettering length-wise so minute deviations in level don't have as much impact.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion