Handlaying Straight Track

Re: Handlaying Straight Track

Postby Shipsure » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:17 pm

I have also been looking at some of the low end RP systems like the Dremel or some of the Makerbots and I think you could "print" scale ties joined like snap track that you could slide rail into. The resolution should be fine given the look of the finished product...anyone tried this? This would work for making switch track as well given the ability to roll your own rail. Years ago a fellow in England was making Z turnouts using cast resin tie flats with rail glued in place with a lot of success. I wonder if this can be done here too. Some of the low end Makerbot style ABS printers go for under $200.00 which would make them competitive with buying a jig from Fast Tracks.

http://www.staples.com/XYZprinting-da-V ... fgodjt0Cmg

Just musing.

Joe
Shipsure

Postby Bernd » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:19 pm

Shipsure wrote:Image This is what I use to straighten and roll my rail going forward. The radius can be controlled by adjusting the position of the rollers and have been able to get good, flat bends to 3" in Diameter. The rollers have groves in them that capture the foot of the rail and it's the only way you can do this without having the rail curl up as it goes through. I've also made my own radius track sections using my laser and having a flat spot rastered to locate the rail. Good to see Fast Tracks offering switch jigs...i think this has been one of the most needed components to model TT.

Joe

Looks a bit complicated. Must have been designed by an mechanical engineer. :lol:

I made my own. Much simpler. I use a washer under the bearings for the base of the rail. All you need is 3 rollers to straighten out a bent rail. Don't believe me. Take a look at Fastracks video on the use of their three bearing rail bender.

Bernd
Last edited by Bernd on Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:24 pm

Shipsure wrote:I have also been looking at some of the low end RP systems like the Dremel or some of the Makerbots and I think you could "print" scale ties joined like snap track that you could slide rail into. The resolution should be fine given the look of the finished product...anyone tried this? This would work for making switch track as well given the ability to roll your own rail. Years ago a fellow in England was making Z turnouts using cast resin tie flats with rail glued in place with a lot of success. I wonder if this can be done here too. Some of the low end Makerbot style ABS printers go for under $200.00 which would make them competitive with buying a jig from Fast Tracks.

Just musing.

Joe

Have at it and give us some samples to view. I don't have much faith in 3D printers. Not fast enough and fine enough resolution for doing detailed work. Perhaps the higher priced ones can do that, but you're still up against a time factor. Casting or injection molding is faster.

Question? How's your TT scale kit's coming along?

http://www.ttnut.com/new-tt-scale-laser-cut-structure-kits-t2219.html

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Shipsure » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:31 pm

Reworking some of them. I posted last year and couldn't even sell a pack of 55 gallon drums...everyone was interested but no one took the bait? Taking a different approach and going to work through Richard Brennan once he gets his site up. That might be the best solution. As of now I have 6 kits designed, some test finished, and a hand full of resin casting scenic accessories...crossing fingers. I have more time now to focus, hopefully that will translate into consistent releases.
Shipsure

Postby j p » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:55 pm

It was not clear to me that anything was for sale...
j p

Postby Bernd » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:30 pm

Please take the conversation to the "For Sale" section of the forum. Thank You.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Shipsure » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:35 pm

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfl1/v/t1.0-9/10985205_980269441998405_3988251931667816811_n.jpg?oh=78fdc61fd61c55e5d572a4bcd36f4fd3&oe=56E1CD53 This is with the Form Labs 1 machine...N scale truck side frame. They are getting there slowly. Much better than anything out of Shapeways these days.
Bernd wrote:
Shipsure wrote:I have also been looking at some of the low end RP systems like the Dremel or some of the Makerbots and I think you could "print" scale ties joined like snap track that you could slide rail into. The resolution should be fine given the look of the finished product...anyone tried this? This would work for making switch track as well given the ability to roll your own rail. Years ago a fellow in England was making Z turnouts using cast resin tie flats with rail glued in place with a lot of success. I wonder if this can be done here too. Some of the low end Makerbot style ABS printers go for under $200.00 which would make them competitive with buying a jig from Fast Tracks.

Just musing.

Joe

Have at it and give us some samples to view. I don't have much faith in 3D printers. Not fast enough and fine enough resolution for doing detailed work. Perhaps the higher priced ones can do that, but you're still up against a time factor. Casting or injection molding is faster.

Question? How's your TT scale kit's coming along?

http://www.ttnut.com/new-tt-scale-laser-cut-structure-kits-t2219.html

Bernd
Shipsure

Postby CSD » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:11 pm

Gents, let's bring this back on topic.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby Bernd » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:34 pm

Back to the subject at hand. I believe I've got the final design of the jig finished. I now need to make a fixture for mounting the jig on the Sherline mill.

Time to turn this hunk of aluminum into a machine fixture.

Find attached a pdf file of the final jig design. Critique welcomed. I may not listen to what you have to say but rest assured you can comment on it.

Note to Moderators. If you feel it necessary to move this thread to a more appropriate sub-forum please do so.

Bernd
Attachments
straightjig-v5_4.pdf
Straight Track Jig
(27.29 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
Last edited by Bernd on Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernd

Postby MacG » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:06 pm

If you move the ties a half tie spacing to the right (or left) then you can milling a tenth tie in the jig. Also good for long tracks. Put the last one soldered tie of a track at the jig and you can add 9 new ones. :wink:
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion