Hand Laid Track

Hand Laid Track

Postby oldtrainguy » Thu May 21, 2015 8:36 pm

I've been surfing around for different sites on hand laying track (that's what I intend to do on my free-mo modules) and came across this persons web page: http://vikaschander.com/trackwork/ . I think he is located in Germany. Its HO but his track work looks very impressive.

On his site he mentions a software product called Templot that he uses to create the templates for his curved turnouts and other complicated track work. On the templot site they make a point of stressing that it isn't a cad program but is a drawing program specifically for drawing track work. It's free and I've downloaded it but haven't had a chance to actually do anything with it. TT scale is in the drop down list to select. It does seem to lean towards British and European sizes. The link is: http://www.templot.com/.
Don
oldtrainguy

Re: Hand Laid Track

Postby richardedmonds » Fri May 22, 2015 1:58 pm

Templot is to my mind a superb product, I have am using it to come up with some sort of resemblance to the N&W island yard in Lynchburg. It has a big learning curve though but you can customise everything even tie spaces widths and everything else. You have to know you trackwork terminology though because the custom parts want to know everything about a turnout. I beleive it is commonly used by a lot of the 3mm chaps over here in the UK
richardedmonds

Postby oldtrainguy » Sat May 23, 2015 9:50 pm

Thanks Richard. Glad to hear you like the product. From my brief look at it I think your right about the learning curve but hopefully it will be worth it in more reliable track work. It would be nice if they updated the user interface to something a little more modern.
Don
oldtrainguy

Postby richardedmonds » Sun May 24, 2015 5:22 am

Yes Don I agree however it is a one man design and has been around for years. It is a free download or was when I got it but I sent the chap a donation of a tenner because I thought it was well worth it. He replied thanking me, and to contact him with any problems I had which I thought was nice. It is easy to forget all the little quirks if you don't use it for a few months though as I just found out LOL.
richardedmonds

Postby ConducTTor » Wed May 27, 2015 12:12 pm

Insane track work from that link. He mentions Fasttracks which actually has a TT #6 turnout jig now!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Return to Layouts / Track Plans