Half-Haggis Scale

Half-Haggis Scale

Postby dileTTante » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:11 am

My first train as a boy was American Flyer so I like S scale. I like passenger trains, too, and I once calculated that a full consist Amtrak Empire Builder would be about sixteen feet long. Fortunately there's TT scale. So I was dreaming about learning CAD and molding Superliner cars and estimated the train would be about eight feet long. Duh-- 1/120 is about half of 1/64. -- TT is about half of S scale. That makes TT half-S or--- half-haggis, which describes my modeling abilities pretty well.
dileTTante

Re: Half-Haggis Scale

Postby scaro » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:14 am

yes, if you look at New Zealand, where all the railways are 3'6", S using OO or HO running gear, or NZ120, that is, TT using N running gear are the two mainstream scales. TT bears about the same relationship to S as N does to HO. more or less, anyway.
scaro

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:04 am

I've wanted to do an Empire Builder ever since it was spotlighted on the train show the History channel had a few years ago (can't remember the name). Other than working in N or smaller it's a tall order to do a fully prototypical train due to the length. I've been redoing my layout design over and over just so I can fit long passenger trains at the station.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:18 pm

ConducTTor wrote:I've wanted to do an Empire Builder ever since it was spotlighted on the train show the History channel had a few years ago (can't remember the name). Other than working in N or smaller it's a tall order to do a fully prototypical train due to the length. I've been redoing my layout design over and over just so I can fit long passenger trains at the station.

The show you are thinking of is Extreme Trains. We have all 8 episodes on iTunes, and have bought the DVD three times so far (we have given away 2 of the copies to friends.)

Long passenger (and freight) consists are a bit easier in TT than N, largely out of being bigger to build. I am quite sure that the HP E-7 A/B (Ernie and Bert) that we have and the HP streamliner cars combined would be more than 4 feet long, just a question of traction.

With the boxy shape of the GE Genesis, that would make it fairly easy to scratchbuild. Somewhere in that pile of boxes that I can't get to right now has a TT scale cardstock Genesis shell that we put together as a demonstrator. Perhaps that might be a next step to take when we get the farm more in order, to look into fabrication of the shell, likely from resin.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby dileTTante » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:41 pm

Amtrak's Empire Builder is my goal because I like it, I ride it almost every year and I have lots of photos of the entire train taken over twenty years or more, and can get photos of details on future trips. I thought I had plans for the Superliners in a Model Railroader magazine but haven't found it. What I have found are scale drawings of the Genesis locomotive, the SDP40F, the P30CH, and the F59PHI which is part of a set of drawings of the California Amtrak. The cars in that set are similar to Empire Builder cars, but still very different. I also have a Model Railroad magazine with drawings of the Empire Builder from 1947, which looks cool, including E7 locomotives. Another issue of MR has drawing of the Broadway limited from about 1949 including the GG1 engine. I thought I had drawings of the F40PH which would be useful for a model of the VIA cross country train, but I can find only a review of the locomotive in a copy of Trains magazine.

Next, I'll register and search the Model Railroader index. Our city library has back issues so maybe I can find the Superliner plans there. I've installed FreeCAD and will try to learn how to use it. It's an alpha version but ought to be sufficient. I looked at Sketchup but it requires OS X 10.5 and I have only 10.4 and they don't have a version or linux which is what I mainly use.
dileTTante

Return to General Discussion