H0n3 to TT

H0n3 to TT

Postby j p » Sat May 10, 2014 4:39 am

Here are pictures of the conversion project. Two different locomotives but the conversion is very similar.
The original was probably something like this: http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/j2.jpg
I have not decided for the target prototype yet.

H0n3 model, 4-4-0
1.jpg

the other engine disassembled, it is 2-6-0
2.jpg

regauging
3.jpg
3.jpg (21.1 KiB) Viewed 723 times

tender with motor inside
4.jpg

small parts from the original model
5.jpg
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 10, 2014 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
j p

Re: H0n3 to TT

Postby j p » Sat May 10, 2014 4:43 am

TT replacement parts
6.jpg

boiler with removed H0n3 details
7.jpg

frame with wheels regauged to TT
8.jpg
j p

Postby areibel » Sat May 10, 2014 10:04 am

Bernd,
Those pictured were imported by a company called "Far East Distributors", they pop up on Ebay from time to time. They made a 4-4-0 and a 2-6-0, and some actually came gauged for TT! I think that was common back in the early days of HOn3, guys were using TT mechanisms and track instead of building everything. I've bought stuff on Ebay I recognized as TT, and the wheels have been slid in on the axles and Kadee #5's applied- the real old school way of doing HOn3!
The MDC locos are candidates, too. Jim O'Brien had a nice 2-8-0 built from an MDC loco, and I'm really tempted by the newer Blackstone stuff- the C class or even one of the new K28's- all the latest goodies like sound and DCC, I just hate to spend that kind of money to tear it apart!
areibel

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sat May 10, 2014 6:54 pm

I think I'd cast steam wheel centers in brass rather than aluminum.
Tom Dempsey

Postby areibel » Sat May 10, 2014 7:08 pm

I've got some that Garn Smith had cast several years ago. They were copies of the HP spoked wheel and price wise weren't too bad (around $3 a wheel) , but he had them cast with the flange thinking you could build them just like HP's. I'd prefer to turn them all down and add a stainless steel tire with rim insulation, that would eliminate a lot of the headaches with HP's axle insulation and the engines shorting against the side rods, tender or anything else! But I still don't have a lathe so they're in the "pending projects" file.
areibel

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sat May 10, 2014 10:27 pm

I've always assumed that the reasons that "everybody" uses a cast brass center sheathed with either a nickel-silver or a steel tire had to do with the problems that arise from dissimilar metals in contact with each other. I don't necessarily know for a fact that an aluminum wheel wouldn't work, but I've never run into one. I do know that in my previous work, which was admittedly all one-to-one, aluminum in contact with any other metal usually resulted in "durability" problems, so over time I've sort of learned to avoid aluminum-steel combinations.
Tom Dempsey

Postby areibel » Sat May 10, 2014 11:16 pm

A little more info about brass from an expert (my son, a mechanical engineer in a bronze foundry!)
If you heat "regular" brass up to melting you won't burn the zinc out. He said some of the alloys they use they have to heat up to around 2000 degrees to add other metals like iron, and they have to control the temp then to prevent burn out. But if you just heat it enough to pour a casting (1300-1400 degrees) you shouldn't have a problem.
areibel

Postby areibel » Sun May 11, 2014 8:22 pm

Bernd wrote:How about a resin cast center with a steel tire. Think that might work? Probably the ideal would be a injection molded center with steel tire. Back to the R&D department.

Bernd

That's a thought I've had, there are some pretty tough plastics like Smooth On's Task series that could take it. Tires always seem to be the hard part though, I've had several tool guys tell me it wouldn't be that hard, grind out a cutting tool to the right profile and use that. Getting them to do it though...
areibel

Return to Prototypes / Models