Grade Testing

Grade Testing

Postby Bernd » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:55 pm

There was much conversation on MRH about the engine going up a 9% grade. Many ideas were given on how to improve traction and so forth. This morning I did some testing on a track test bed I had built last year to test the pulling power of model engines. I never finished it totally.

Here it is. It's an 8 foot long piece of plywood with Code70 flex track on cork. I added the TT scale gauge track when I got the SW1200. On top of the test track sits a grade gauge I had made. It's two feet long with an adjustable gauge on the end.

A closer look at the gauge shows (small red arrow) the markings and the level (large red arrow) shows that the gauge is level. With the gauge set at the appropriate setting I get a 9% grade at 8 feet long.

Here's a three minute video showing what the engine can push up a 9% grade. First is the engine by it's self, then pushing a TT scale 40' boxcar. Next is an "HO" scale 40' boxcar and the last is "trying", note I said trying, to push both boxcars up the grade. Apparently there is something on the track in a couple of sections that give the engine some traction. The engine is run on 8 to 12 volts plain DC. The weight of the engine is 4.5oz, the TT scale boxcar is 1.6oz, the HO scale boxcar is 3.2 oz. Both cars together weigh in at 4.8oz.

After I did the video I remembered I have some hopper cars with wheel bearings in them from InterMoutain. The engine could push two of these cars up the grade weighing in at 4.7oz for both. It could not push three.

The engine and two hoppers going up the grade.

Here is the difference between plastic wheels on the baxcar and the wheels with ball bearings.

So I'm sticking with the 9% grade on the layout. Now I have to build the log buggies and the engine. I'm in process now making some jigs to make the brass parts of the log disconnects.

Bernd
Last edited by Bernd on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernd

Re: Grade Testing

Postby CN-TT » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:33 pm

I love watching all your R&D! :thumbup:
Two questions: The grade on your module is not a straight track. It goes through this S-courve. Usually there is a difference in pulling power on straight and curved tracks. Have you made the car pulling/pushing test on the module as well? What is the result there?

Bjoern
You gotta do much more than believe if you really wanna change things!

"The GuiTTar Case" Gallery
"The GuiTTar Case" YouTube
CN-TT

Postby Bernd » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:35 pm

CN-TT wrote:I love watching all your R&D! :thumbup:
Two questions: The grade on your module is not a straight track. It goes through this S-courve. Usually there is a difference in pulling power on straight and curved tracks. Have you made the car pulling/pushing test on the module as well? What is the result there?

Bjoern

Thanks Bjoern. The R&D is fun. I usually don't use formulas for such things I just go and do it. :grin:

No I did not try it on the module. I have removed the track to do some scenery work and glue the foam down. Pulling through a curve up a hill adds to the friction on the wheels from the flanges. I think it gives a bit more adhesion for getting a heavy load up the hill. Wheel friction of the cars that are being taken up the hill plays a big part of how many you can move up the hill also.

For what I want to do I think it will work out OK. The main idea of car movement on this portion of the layout is to move empty disconnects up to the log loading area and bringing down loaded cars. If the Climax I'm going to build can handle 4 disconnect log buggies then I'll be happy. If it can handle more, that's even better.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby milwrd1 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:40 pm

Bernd

Great stuff :!: :!: All you need is a little sand, someone out there is probably working on scale sanders for model locomotives.....

Any plans to install voltmeters / ammeters to monitor electrical loco parameters while testing on the grade :?:
milwrd1

Postby Bernd » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:14 pm

milwrd1 wrote:Bernd

Great stuff :!: :!: All you need is a little sand, someone out there is probably working on scale sanders for model locomotives.....

I think they have them on the 1 1/2" scale live steam, so ya, maybe somebody is working on them. Then we'll need somebody to develop a sand crusher for finer sand. :wink: :lol:

Any plans to install voltmeters / ammeters to monitor electrical loco parameters while testing on the grade :?:

I was going to do all that on the test rig, but like anything else in this hobby some thing else got my attention first. I'll get to it some time and add those. Would be great for improving engine performance.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:29 pm

CN-TT wrote:I love watching all your R&D! :thumbup:

Ditto. :clap:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby richardedmonds » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:36 pm