GP9 detail improvements

GP9 detail improvements

Postby MacG » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:37 pm

After a long break, I will work on further detail parts for the Lionel-GP9. Already done is a dynamic brake and coupler pocket for MTL 1025. Now come a 1700 gallon tank and some other tank variants. I found some sketches with dimensions. There will be a version for the current Lok-n-Roll chassis (two parts) and one for the old or an own built chassis (one part).

a first look
1700_gallon_tank_back_side.jpg

1700_gallon_tank_side.jpg

The height of rectangular blocks is for the height of the side skirts of the frame. I had to appreciate the dimensions of the air tanks and the air pipes (3" outer diameter?).
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Re: GP9 detail improvements

Postby areibel » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:50 pm

They look good MacG! One of my many projects is to swap the cab from an SW1200 dummy shell and make that look better, these will help.
areibel

Postby MacG » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:47 am

This idea is new to me. I will take a look at this.
MacG

Postby areibel » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:47 am

That is why I have been breaking end mills! I am trying to remove the GP cab down to the battery boxes and those extra bumps on either side that Lionel kept on there.
I read somewhere that the cabs for the early GP locomotives were the same as the SW switchers, with a few minor differences. The roof on the SW has a slight over hang front and back, but that can be sanded off. And using the SW cab you need to modify the back wall to change the door location. I am going to try and use a piece of a GP38 cab for the door, and styrene or epoxy putty to patch up the body to make it better.
areibel

Postby Bernd » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:56 am

areibel wrote:That is why I have been breaking end mills! I am trying to remove the GP cab down to the battery boxes and those extra bumps on either side that Lionel kept on there.
I read somewhere that the cabs for the early GP locomotives were the same as the SW switchers, with a few minor differences. The roof on the SW has a slight over hang front and back, but that can be sanded off. And using the SW cab you need to modify the back wall to change the door location. I am going to try and use a piece of a GP38 cab for the door, and styrene or epoxy putty to patch up the body to make it better.

Hey Al,

That sounds like a very neat idea. How about some pictures of your work?

As I read you comment above I was thinking why not use the SW cab as a templot and scratch-build a cab out of .020" or .040" thick styrene? May give it a try myself. Have a couple of the Lionel GP's I could do that with.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby areibel » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:54 am

Hi Bernd,
If I can find something presentable on the shell I'll take a couple pics, but unless you want some pictures of broken mills I don't have a lot! I do have the cab I started on, my plan is to get one cab done and then make a couple resin copies of it since the supply of undec SW1200 shells dried up. I'd like to have a small fleet of GP7's or 9's, the Erie and EL had quite a few with all sorts of options- with dynamic brakes or without, big fuel tank and small, torpedo tubes on the roof, etc.. A GP was the usual power for the local that used to run up through here daily, so
I saw them often back in the old days.
areibel

Postby j p » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:11 pm

Something like this?

CN_4105.jpg

CN_4105_side.jpg
j p

Postby MacG » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:06 pm

areibel wrote:That is why I have been breaking end mills! I am trying to remove the GP cab down to the battery boxes and those extra bumps on either side that Lionel kept on there. ...

With patience, you don't break a cutter. The material is soft. I would dare to mill away only the extra bumps.

For now, I will concentrate me on the attachment parts. The diameter of the air reservoirs is a little bit too big (25"). I will reduce it.
MacG

Postby areibel » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Nice model JP, was that one of Chris Happe's?
I'm trying to get rid of the little extra material and add the doors on the front and back of the cab. Lionel didn't make a 1:120 model of a GP9, they made a 1:120 model of their old 1:48 model and that bulge was for motor clearance. once I get the old cab milled off it won't be bad, next I have to figure out doors with louvers!
areibel

Postby j p » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:07 am

areibel wrote:Nice model JP, was that one of Chris Happe's?
I'm trying to get rid of the little extra material and add the doors on the front and back of the cab. Lionel didn't make a 1:120 model of a GP9, they made a 1:120 model of their old 1:48 model and that bulge was for motor clearance. once I get the old cab milled off it won't be bad, next I have to figure out doors with louvers!

Yes, that was one of Chris Happe's models.
j p

Next

Return to Builders' Corner